Need help tuning Clavinova CLP-220

General discussion about digital pianos

Moderator: Feg

ramendik

Need help tuning Clavinova CLP-220

Post by ramendik »

Hello,

I have a Clavinova CLP-220 which for some reason is playing significantly too high (approx +47% according to tuning software). Honestly I am no musician, my wife is, and she is distressed because of this.

I tried the procedure from the user manual - to tune down, hold A1 and A1# and press any key between C3 and B3. I tried repeatedly pressing the key between C3 and B3 while holding A1 and A1# ; I also tried repeatedly pressing all three. None of this has made any difference. Meanwhile transposing works, so it seems that keyboard control in general does work.

Is there any way I can change the pitch of this piano? Apart, of course, from using it as a MIDI source with a separate synth, which is not a cheap option.

I would be very thankful for a solution!

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik
County Limerick, Ireland
ramendik

Re: Need help tuning Clavinova CLP-220

Post by ramendik »

After much more googling I found a solution to the problem. The keys to press are not A1 and A1# but the two or three LETMOST keys on the keyboard, which the manual, confusingly, names A-1 and A#-1.

I hope this thread can stay on the Forum so that those running into the same problem could find it by googling.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

I would suspect the tuning software. It's extremely unlikely that any Clavinova plays 47% sharp, esp. after re-setting it - they shouldn't even be able do that when they go seriously wrong. If you think that you're software is right, call Steve Marsden at Yamaha on 01908 366700.
ramendik

Post by ramendik »

After the reset it plays correctly. My problem was that I misunderstood which keys to press to reset.
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

Featuring the actual sounds of a concert grand piano, the CLP-220 utilizes the sophisticated AWM Stereo Sampling tone generation and the expressive GH keyboard to reproduce the rich resonance and golden tones of an actual piano. With 64-note polyphony, three foot pedals and a built in speaker system, the CLP-220 delivers the full nuances of an acoustic instrument. It also features a 1-track song recorder to capture your inspirations, and MIDI terminals for tapping into the wide world of computer music.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

rocklandpiano wrote:Featuring the actual sounds of a concert grand piano, the CLP-220 utilizes the sophisticated AWM Stereo Sampling tone generation and the expressive GH keyboard to reproduce the rich resonance and golden tones of an actual piano. With 64-note polyphony, three foot pedals and a built in speaker system, the CLP-220 delivers the full nuances of an acoustic instrument. It also features a 1-track song recorder to capture your inspirations, and MIDI terminals for tapping into the wide world of computer music.
:roll:

So which bit of the promo literature did this come from? Cutting and pasting from corporate literature and publishing it usually involves some sort of copyright infringement, so I'd be a bit more careful.

With regard to digital pianos these days, it's impossible for a digital piano to out of tune with itself (i.e. you don't get the odd key out of tune with the rest of them - unless you've played around with some sort of micro-tuning facility). In any case, resetting a digital piano to factory settings should always get you back to A440.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

It's like a computer generated response isn't it!
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

joseph wrote:It's like a computer generated response isn't it!
Yep.