electrical metronome that sounds wooden?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

tiggy748
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

electrical metronome that sounds wooden?

Post by tiggy748 »

Hi,

I have been pursuaded to go for a electric metronome for my daughter (whilst keeping it in hiding, and buying a "just for show, cheap off ebay" wooden one to sit on top of the piano!).

Im looking for one with volume control, flashing light, preferably dial control, bell/chime and a proper lovely "wooden" tock noise. I dont think there is anything else she would need. Do not want anything that actulay sounds electrical- any ideas?
Last edited by tiggy748 on 03 Sep 2011, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
tiggy748
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: electrical metronome that sounds wooden?

Post by tiggy748 »

I have noticed that some of them come with headphone jack to "practice silently" errr am i missing something here? the piano makes a noise too? and im curious as to how you can hear what you are playing if you are wearing the earphones ? This seems a daft feature to me!
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Next thing you know they'll be selling solar powered torches!!
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You want the 'Cherub Piano Mate' metronome. As well as the usual 'beep click click', there is a reasonable facsimile of a proper metronome (ding tock tock!). There is also a voice - an oriental dominatrix type shouting 'ONE two three, ONE two three'. But I'm scared of that one...
It was about 35 quid, I think, on Amazon. It's also complicated; I've lost the leaflet and on replacing the batteries, I need to put the time on it (it's also a clock). So far I've managed to set off the alarm and scare the cat. So if you buy one, KEEP THE LEAFLET! :) There are flashing lights, it has a humidity meter built in (to tell you if you're mistreating your piano) and it also gives an octave of pitches (C to C) should you need to tune anything. Though not the piano, obviously... :mrgreen: In fact it does almost anything except cook the tea!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Just like a digital/ electric piano will always sound 'electric'.... an electric (battery operated) metronome will always have an electric/ metallic sound to it.... they are very handy and sound OK.... but personally, for a proper 'wooden' tick tock & a real chime & hammer that strikes the opening of the the bar in either 2,3,4 or 6 time (or can switch it).... I'll stick to my Wittner 'coffin' walnut looking metronome.... it is a wind-up one with a swiss movement inside, and will last for ever so long I dont over-wind it.

The 'tick tock' sound of the metronome shouldn't really take preference over keeping time!!.... they are best used to 'set the tempo' and use occasionally with the music .... and during most of your daughter's playing, it need not be on if she can keep in time ok.

Purely a matter of taste.... but I prefer the wooden/ clockwork type.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
UKPiano1
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by UKPiano1 »

Matrix MR-600 sounds like a wood block, has light, metric accents, and volume control.

At this link you can hear the sound:

http://www.metronomes.net/Matrix600.htm