How to make it happen?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

SunTzu

How to make it happen?

Post by SunTzu »

Hello everyone,
I'm a language teacher who travels Asia and so the best I can do regarding access to a keyboard is to use a semi- weighted Yamaha Digital piano. Each day I practice scales, major, minor (melodic and harmonic) arpeggios, broken chords and chromatic. For each session I spend 30mins working on these followed by 15mins on a Bach invention No's 1, 8, and 13. If time permits then the next 30min sessions are followed by Bach's concerto -1052. Things are getting better but I always wonder if there's something I could do to better this. I have no access to a teacher and use recordings to tell me if things are on the right track. I work predominantly with separate hands. The logic being if I can't play things correctly this way then it's going to be a waste of time fumbling through a piece using both hands. I'm going to combine hands when the scales sound good at 108 tempo and the inventions can be played well at 2/3 of the noted tempo. Am I hopelessly of track here or can this make it happen for me? I'm getting on in age but I'm told my feeling for what I'm doing is sound by those who've heard me play. Any comments on this would be so appreciated.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: How to make it happen?

Post by markymark »

Rehearsing hands separately is okay provided that you are trying to play both hands together or at least are getting to the point where you are ready/prepared to put both hands together.

It's hard to tell from your post but I get the impression that sight-reading is an area for development. If it is, find pieces of music that are initially easier than what you are practising and develop those skills also.