Recommended pieces to progress from grade 7/8 standard?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

torreswillcomegood

Recommended pieces to progress from grade 7/8 standard?

Post by torreswillcomegood »

Hi there.

I stopped taking piano lessons about three years ago, having reached a grade 7/8 sort of standard. Since then I haven't really progressed at all, and it's been a while since I learnt a new piece (in the last day or two I've been learning Chopin's Prelude in F Sharp Major, marked as "intermediate" in the book of Chopin pieces it's in). I'd really love to start trying some pieces that are harder than my current standard but not impossibly difficult (as all of the "advanced" pieces in the book seem to be). No preferences with regard to composer/time period.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Recommended pieces to progress from grade 7/8 standard?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Some pieces "look easier" than their grade. If so, then musical expression will need to be added and enhanced. The F# Prelude is a fairly slow tempo, but gives you the understanding of reading 6 sharps & various modulations. If you have the prelude volume - try the Raindrop Prelude aswell in D flat major. Here are a few pieces that I enjoy playing - all around the grade 7/8 category (if marked * = slightly higher, ** = Diploma to concert standard)

Pathetique Sonata in C minor Op 13 - Beethoven.

Arabesques 1 & 2/ Reverie/ Clair de lune / Golliwogs cakewalk/ La fille aux cheveux de lin/ .... Debussy.

Sonatine* (F# minor) Ravel

Rosemary...... Frank Bridge

Automne* (Autumn) ...... Chaminade (great piece)

Swallows...... Gurlitt

Prelude in C# minor** ...... Rachmaninov

Revolutionary study/ black key study** (op 10 Nos 4 & 12).... Chopin

Fantasia Impromptu in C# minor** (Op 66)...... Chopin

Just a few of my favourites....

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
torreswillcomegood

Thanks very much for your input, I'll be checking those out. The Raindrop Prelude is in that book as well, maybe I'll give it a go! Don't think I have a chance of playing something like the Fantasie Impromptu though.
torreswillcomegood

Thanks! I've been playing for something like eleven years. I can still remember the first time I was able to play something simple with both hands together. Re-Chopin, I think it was being able to play the famous Nocturne in C Sharp Minor (as seen in The Pianist) that made me feel like I'd really got somewhere. Keep on working, you'll be amazed how quickly you can progress. :piano;