Great online piano lessons

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gill the Piano

Re: Great online piano lessons

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you're looking to find out about keyboards you might be better off for advice if you post in the digital piano section. As for books,for adult beginners working alone I always recommend The Complete Piano Player by Kenneth Baker( or The Complete Keyboard Player if it's keyboards you want to learn). If you want a real piano, you can get one on Freecycle.com, but try to get it looked at first by a tuner before you go to the expense of moving it.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Great online piano lessons

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I think it might be advisable to visit a local piano shop and ask for some general advice. Choosing a digital piano is quite personal, and it depends on the tone & touch of the keys. Kawai to a good range of digitals - the CN range, I think start in the region of £600 - £700 new. They come with a cabinet (that is assembled in your home) and three pedals incorporated into it. However the Es6 is also a good digital piano, and it either comes with an optional cabinet & pedals, or a portable keyboard stand - the pedal however is only the sustain pedal, and plugs into the back - these are priced just over £1K. If you buy a digital piano, some have installed various demos and a book for you to follow the music - however most of the Kawai range do not have all sorts of gadgets/ rhythms etc. Some models can also record & playback, and come with a metronome and others with USB hubs for saving your recordings. So I think its best that you try some out first. Take care buying on-line, the box is HUGE and very HEAVY!! and because if the casework is damaged in the post, its a pain in the neck returning it.

Most music shops may include local delivery & a stool. There is no such thing really as a "beginner piano" (just the price) - remember that you are the beginner, not the piano! Most digital pianos are quite capable of being played by experienced pianists.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen