Grade 1 Exam Thursday

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Blodwen
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Grade 1 Exam Thursday

Post by Blodwen »

Cant wait is an understatement lol! As Dave Brum said it's like having an itch I cant scratch grrr! Well its 8 days today since my exam so hopefully wont have to wait too long!! how long did yours take? about 2 weeks was it?
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Haha love that expression, having an itch you can't scratch :P :P

My results were exactly 14 days. I still haven't actually seen my certificate yet tho - and it's looking more likely I won't see it next week either because of this stupid white stuff falling from the sky :evil: :evil:

I'm just glad the result doesn't get worse the longer you take to touch the certificate lol
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

PianoLove wrote:. I still need to write the letters above the notes on the music sheets though- I'm a long way off sight reading without that. But that will surely come with time.
Not if you keep writing the notes in it won't!! Come on, wean yourself off...otherwise it's like saying you can ride your bike when you still have your stabilisers on! :mrgreen:
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Take Gill's advice - it really does make you think about the notes if you don't have them written in front of you. Before you know it, (and it really does happen sooner than you think) you'll automatically know the notes. Go on, rub out those notes and play... DARE ya :P :P
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

:shock:

Erm the one after C is D :wink:
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

:oops:

oh I do apologise lol - you had me a bit worried for a minute then :mrgreen:
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

I daren't argue with your :piano; it's bigger than me :D

It does get a bit frustrating, I know I do when I can't do something. But that feeling you get when you CAN do it is great. I'm pretty stubborn so I don't like to be beaten. I WILL do it, eventually lol.

Did you see that little kid in the paper, grade 8 on the piano AND violin? That's when I get frustrated and wish I'd started when I was younger.
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

I think at the end of the day Dave, it's gotta be a case of, if we want it bad enough, we will do it and get there.

There are loads of videos on YouTube of young kids playing - the really young ones, 5,6 year olds are really impressive. Can imagine the parents forcing the kids to sit at the piano, making them play for hours on end. Almost in a way living their lives through the kids. Some of them are really talented though.

There are also loads of talented adults on there - there is a guy from France on there and he is self taught and is absolutely fantastic. One day, I'm going to play like him :P
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I tune for some parents who, when I ask if sproggo is enjoying the lessons, say 'No, but I want him to learn as I always wish I had.' Makes me livid. I can't bear it when children are forced to learn.
So you adult beginners are saving some poor brat from having to live your lives for them!
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Gill the Piano wrote:I tune for some parents who, when I ask if sproggo is enjoying the lessons, say 'No, but I want him to learn as I always wish I had.' Makes me livid. I can't bear it when children are forced to learn.
So you adult beginners are saving some poor brat from having to live your lives for them!

Ah that's ok then :D :D :D

I remember reading online somewhere once, about a girl that was forced to play the piano, got her grade 8 before she left school. When she left home, she hated the piano so much she's never played since. To me, that's not what music is about, it's supposed to be enjoyable... (my neighbors will learn to like it :) )
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Dave, we have something in common! (other than the piano) I too loathe football. Always have, always will! I never had to play sports at school - I would say luckily but on balance I feel pretty unlucky as I was quite ill as a child so missed alot of school and when I did attend I was wrapped in cotton wool.

Also, if the teacher is supportive (my nan had a teacher that used to whack her hands with the ruler if she dared to play a wrong note!) but the child doesn't want to play, I can't see how the child can do well. Force the child and as with anything, they will rebel. There were about a dozen in my year at school that had lessons and could play the piano, 1 played the trumpet and 3 the violin. Oh and one used to play the drums. I don't know of any kids today that have that inclination to want to learn to play. It's all Xbox 360 or Wii or texting on a mobile phone. I'm sure there must be some musical kids somewhere but I don't think as many. When we were at school we had a school band and used to compete against other schools. The school I attended no longer has a band as there weren't enough children good enough to play in it. Shame really.
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

There's hope for us yet then! :P
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Pianolove, I have come to hate scales. I know they are important and I do practice them. But I just think arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh what's the point :shock:
Do you play your scales hands together? This is a good way of getting used to playing using both hands.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... -4&h=0d12a

Is this what you mean Gill? !!!
Not sure if this will link to the forum, but the video "The Music Teacher & The Parent" can be found on Youtube. The teacher's nightmare! Been there, got the t-shirt (and now the video!!)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... -4&h=0d12a

Try this!! The Music Teacher & The Parent video - a classic!!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Blodwen
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Blodwen »

Although I learned a little piano when I was younger I wish my parents had pushed me a little to practice and stick with it! My biggest regret is not learning properly when I was younger! I think when I have kids I will try not to be overly pushy but I think I will be actively encouraging them to learn an instrument!
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Well I got my loverly shiny new certificate today :D :D :D

Also was told that I'm being entered for Grade 2 in Feb/Mar 2011!

Pressure pressure pressure. Can I make it TWO distinctions :lol:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Of COURSE you can, Q. You've set the bar high...! :D
Every child should be given the chance to play the piano. However, if they hate it, they shouldn't be MADE to play. Left to themselves they may come back to it later, as many of my customers have.
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Gill. Would be nice to repeat my performance and get a distinction, but I'd be equally happy with a pass... yea right! lol.

This is a breakdown of marks in the Grade 1.
B1 - 29
C3 - 26
A1 - 29

Scales - 20

Sight reading - 17 (checked key signature, but still forgot to play the Bb!)

Aural - 17

Total 138/150 :P :D

I would write the comments but I cannot read the examiners writing, think he used to be a Dr! :mrgreen:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think the crap writing is a requirement for examiners...I played for a brat's clarinet exam on Tuesday and forty+ years of music exams has left me with unparalleled powers when it comes to reading upside down, but even I was beaten by his writing....it looked more like an ECG. :roll:
Qcam2010
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Qcam2010 »

Haha, if they'd hooked me up to an ECG machine on the day, I'm sure it wouldn't have said "distinction" :D can't stop saying it lol