Keyboard Template

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

autumndays

Keyboard Template

Post by autumndays »

I took delivery of my brand new piano yesterday, which I intend to master over my forthcoming retirement years. I know nothing about pianos, nor can I read music. Just to start me off, I would like to buy one of those cardboard templates you can stand up behind the piano keys to help you remember where the notes are and what they're called. I know it's possible to download them from the internet, but then you have floppy pieces of A4 paper to stick together! Can anyone tell me where I can buy a fairly substantial cardboard template?
Gill the Piano

Re: Keyboard Template

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's called a Keyboard Finger Chart and you can get one on www.musicroom.com . It stands at the back of the keys. BUT if you get The Complete Piano Player by Kenneth Baker - an EXCELLENT book for adults teaching themselves, using songs you know by people you know like Abba, Elvis and the Beatles - you get one free in Book 1 (and in the omnibus edition if you want to buy the 6 books that way). I would highly recommend that you get that book, rather than grope your way blindly! Good luck, and have fun. :D
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
autumndays

Re: Keyboard Template

Post by autumndays »

Thanks for your advice Gill. I will try and buy the book you suggest. As a lifelong Elvis fan, anything with Elvis in it is fine for me!