chords?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

agirloftoday

chords?

Post by agirloftoday »

I play piano by ear, i dont know much about any keys. can anyone tell me that for each song, can we use our own chords or is there any way to follow?
i know simple chords basic one
like c major c minor
a major a minor

so what i have to do in order to learn chords for the songs?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: chords?

Post by markymark »

agirloftoday wrote:I play piano by ear, i dont know much about any keys. can anyone tell me that for each song, can we use our own chords or is there any way to follow?
i know simple chords basic one
like c major c minor
a major a minor

so what i have to do in order to learn chords for the songs?
There are common chord patterns or chord progressions that fit a huge range of songs.

For example, C, Am, F, G, or the "three chord wonder" (C, F, G).

What you should do if playing by ear is what you want to develop is learn all the major and minor chords. You can google these or you can check out Youtube for help. The videos help you see the hand positions and hear what is being played. Most other chords (besides the augmented or diminished) build or expand on the basic major or minor foundations.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You can also get a keyboard picture chord book which shows clear pics of the hands in the right positions for every chord.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
samasap
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by samasap »

If there is a song you want to learn, and you are familiar with most major and minor chords, then if you purchase the sheet music that is for Piano Guitar and Vocals then it will show the chords above the music, so this will help you learn the song, then listen to the music, and try and work out the rhythm from this.
Even if you type in Chords for ????? online you will be able to find this.
pianoplayer2

Post by pianoplayer2 »

Playing chords by ear is a matter of knowing your chord options and what they sound like. If you know your scales, your first step is to build chords on those scale notes. Chords on 1, 4 and 5 are major, 2, 3 and 6 are minor. Play those in different keys and see how the chords sound similar in all keys. The 1 chord will always feel like home and identifies your key. From there you can branch out and learn some common out of key chords. The more familiar you are with the chords, the easier it will be to pick them out by ear.
Dewey435

Post by Dewey435 »

Hi I am dewey. Its better for you to join any institute to learn piano playing......