Piano teaching

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

lizcunningham

Piano teaching

Post by lizcunningham »

have read a few Q&A's to markymark so felt he might the best person to answer this?

i am about to stop work and look after my two youngs sons

i wondered how feasible it would be for me to become a piano teacher (up to grade 5). I have all 8 grades in piano (when i was 18yrs old), achieved B grade GCSE but only an N at A level (hate to blame the teacher but he drove coaches on the side and would often not even appear for lessons!!)

what quals would i need to to achieve this - as i suspect am very underqualified to carry this through but thought i should at least investigate!!
busylizi
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Piano teaching

Post by markymark »

This question has been asked before. You can read the things we said by clicking on this link to the thread: http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... f=7&t=5701

Further to that, for private home tuition, there is no mandatory qualification or standard per se needed before starting into piano teaching. I would suggest that you spend time making sure that you are at Grade VIII standard (right now) before starting to market yourself as being a Grade VIII musician. Being at this standard means that the children you teach will not be at a disadvantage if you cannot play the music. I have heard other teachers say that you should not teach any higher than two grades below your own standard where you have graded piano grades only as your main qualification.

Diplomas such as ATCL, ALCM, LGSM, etc can be done through most piano teachers and will add to your expertise and credibilty as a private teacher. I think the link I posted in this message has more information about links and things which may be useful.
chrisg
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Piano teaching

Post by chrisg »

markymark,

I think your comment is good. In addition, the reputation of a good piano teacher can be advantageous. For many it is about building a base and won't happen immediately.