Changing piano teacer (again)

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

ETP's Mum
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Changing piano teacer (again)

Post by ETP's Mum »

I would be really grateful for any opinions please.

My Son's both play piano and 15 months ago we changed teacher from "brilliant, artistic, inspiational, extremely unreliable to dull, uninspiring, not particularly kid friendly very reliable!

We swopped to him with 8yo having passed Grade 4 and 6yo passed Grade 1.

15 months later he is still wanting them to play tunes that they started when they started with him and he doen't think they are ready for exams.

Both are very bored and not wanting to practise. To be honest I think they would like to give up. Should I change again? And is there a good resource for teachers?
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Changing piano teacer (again)

Post by Celestite »

Hiya
You might try http://www.musicteachers.co.uk who list teachers by instrument and location or look at EPTA's website for their teacher members. Obviously you need to look at their relevant qualifications to make sure they have the necessary knowledge but I would take the time to talk to several of the teachers you find in your area and see who you gel with in conversation - you know your boys and the sort of personality they get on with. It's a question of finding the right combination of experience, skill and personality for each individual Any one without the others is likely to cause problems, imho. Hope this helps. :piano;
chrisg
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Changing piano teacer (again)

Post by chrisg »

Although this isn't necessarily advice, when I was learning, I was often in the same boat. 15 months does sound too long however my piano teacher simply was an exceptional teacher and took my a while before he would enter me into graded exams.