How long will it take?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

mabelchops

How long will it take?

Post by mabelchops »

:piano;

Hello everyone :D

Could you please advice and help me. I had piano lessons from the age of 6 until i was 15 and managed to get to grade 7. Now, a few years later, i am 44 and because of a number of reasons what to resume piano lessons. I have play the piano one and off, well, not that often really but because i was not at the standard i was when i was 15, was easily put off.

Does anyone know how long it could take me to get up to the same standard i was all those years ago? A non qualified piano teacher said 3 to 6 months. This does sound rather quick to me or does this sound right?

Many thanks for your help.
Gill the Piano

Re: How long will it take?

Post by Gill the Piano »

Depends on many things - mostly upon the number of hours you're prepared to put in. Then there's the quality of the teaching which you'll receive. 3 to 6 months sounds extremely optimistic, given that as an adult, you'll have far less time to spare for practice than you did as a kid; but with determination and dedication, the world's your oyster! :D Good luck!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
mabelchops

Re: How long will it take?

Post by mabelchops »

:D

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i thought it was a bit quick.

Have now decided to try and spend about 1 hour a day practising. I am going back to basics using the music that i first learnt with. Once i feel i have got as good as i am going to get then i will try and find a suitable teacher.

Most useful bit of advice i have received is to try and take things slow and not to rush. In my mind im already years ahead and teaching students. Maybe one day !!!!

Thanks again.