*looks around nervously* Hello! Help with this bar, please!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Alex

*looks around nervously* Hello! Help with this bar, please!

Post by Alex »

Hello!

I've been playing the piano on and off for about ten years - started with lessons, then just played what I wanted later on (so I suspect that there are huge gaps in my musical knowledge). I started a piece a few days ago, but I've never seen a bar like this, and I'm rather stumped on what it's supposed to represent.

Obviously, there are those six semi-breves, but I have no idea what those thick lines are supposed to represent. There's no indication that the bar is supposed to be played by another instrument (although it is a possibility - it's taken from a musical score).

So yeah - I don't know. Any help here would be hot. :)

Much appreciated!
Gill the Piano

Re: *looks around nervously* Hello! Help with this bar, please!

Post by Gill the Piano »

You just fill the bar up alternating those notes for 4 beats...like an old fashioned police siren! I'd do it on the quavers, so both hands play the 2 note chords on the beat, and the twqo 'solo' notes on the off beat. TWO ONE, TWO ONE, TWO ONE, TWO ONE. Like a slow tremolo. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better than me, but it'll do till someone competent comes along!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

It is a tremolo but it is a fast tremolo. To be honest, I have never really come across tremolos that specify the speed with which you are to play the alteration from one note to another. The idea is to create a 'rumbling' effect with the notes.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gill the Piano wrote:You just fill the bar up alternating those notes for 4 beats...like an old fashioned police siren! I'd do it on the quavers, so both hands play the 2 note chords on the beat, and the twqo 'solo' notes on the off beat. TWO ONE, TWO ONE, TWO ONE, TWO ONE. Like a slow tremolo. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better than me, but it'll do till someone competent comes along!
No no, that's absolutely fine - I completely understand!

Thanks very much, folks! I can finally get on with the piece. :D

Cheers again!