two note slurs

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

greebouk

two note slurs

Post by greebouk »

Hello everyone :)
I am teaching myself to play piano, as sadly I can't afford a teacher. I think I am doing ok. I can play basic piano music fairly well. I have come to a point in the book I am using regarding 2 note slurs. I understand playing legato but I am struggling a little to understand this technique.
As I have read it you hit the first note harder and then make the second note shorted and quieter? Is this correct. is there a way to hold your hand or wrist. And are there some good exercises I can do to practice this?
Any help or advice would be fantastic, cause I am a little confused on this one and I dont want to get into any bad habits!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: two note slurs

Post by Moonlight »

Yes I agree with Dave, drop roll is the best way of explaining how to do it correctly. What you do is on the first note you gently drop your arm to play the note, then you roll off the second note by raising the wrist / hand of the key. You wouldn’t need to use any finger power with this technique, doing the drop roll action is enough to do it without pressing the keys with the finger. This action connects the notes so it sounds legato.

I’m not so sure about hitting the first note harder, but the weight of your arm going down will create a slight accent on the first note and the rolling will make the last note less so. You shouldn’t give the slurred note an deliberate accent unless it says so in the music.
greebouk

Re: two note slurs

Post by greebouk »

Thanks to both of you, I will continue to practice and it willnot get the better of me! Glad you like the name too :D Although Stourbridge being the centre of the universe :roll: lol