How to find a piano teacher

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

soaring_shrimp

How to find a piano teacher

Post by soaring_shrimp »

Hello,

I just recently moved to the UK, and have settled in Oxford. Ive been interested in learning to play the piano for a long time now and am want to find a teacher in the area but dont know how to best go about doing that. How do I find recommendations for teacheres and the like if I know no one in the area?

Thank you!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: How to find a piano teacher

Post by joseph »

- That is a very good question, and like all very good questions, it doesn't have the easiest answer.

Starting from cold here are some pointers that are in no way definitive but may help when looking up folk on the net or in the phonebook:-

Someone who has a music degree with first study as piano
Someone who has some kind of a teaching qualification such as the LRSM, LRAM or an endorsement from their college
Someone who has many years of teaching and performing experience.
Someone who has experience on the whole journey of tuition. That could mean that they are teaching at all levels, or it may mean they teach mainly beginners but perform at advanced level or whatever.

Now the only way you will know is by going to a teacher for a few weeks. It may be that your teacher has none of those things or only one of those things and they are the right teacher for you. Here is what they do need to have though, no question:-

A need to share their love of music with others to the point where their life wouldn't be worth living if they weren't given that opportunity.

There are many people who have more letters after their name than in their name, but they have no love - either for music or general humanity. There are many people who have no letters after their name and yet are somehow able to pass on an enthusiasm for music and for life that infects everyone they meet.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

If you go into Blackwells' Music Shop in Broad Street, Oxford, there is a notice board on one of the staircases. It's always covered with information about instrumental tuition. The staff there are helpful and could possibly be able to recommend one of the teachers advertising there. I would normally suggest making sure that the teacher is properly qualified, but there are many music students in Oxford who might be offering their services; they could be just what you need. Most teachers will offer a trial lesson or two, so don't commit yourself to longer periods of tuition until you feel you have the right person.
davidlinchi

Post by davidlinchi »

Hello friends, One month ago I moved to the USA and I have settled in Texas. My daughter is interested in learning to play the piano so I want to find a teacher for her in the area but I can't find I have also asked my some friends about it but they also don't know. Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance,