Jazz and Blues where does one begin!?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Jazz and Blues where does one begin!?

Post by Moonlight »

Okay so when people ask about where to begin with classical music most people would say Bach, Beethoven and Brahms etc etc. So as a complete beginner to Jazz and Blues music where would be the best place for me to start...

I would like some composers names and famous pieces or less known works. I’m mostly interested in piano works as I would like to start playing some of this eventually.

Anyone know of any good books to get that are about grade 2-3 level which would be a good starting point to try some out, I’m not really interested in arrangements or versions of pieces that have been simplified too much.

I did follow some of those old jazz recordings they were playing on BBC 4 a few months ago can’t remember the name of the program though I think it was called Jazz 19something something, was pretty cool .

Marky, I’m sure you are the best person on here to help answer my questions!
:)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Jazz and Blues where does one begin!?

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:Anna, you're not on about Jazz 625, are you... Missing our chats, Annacakes :( How are you??
Hi Dave :)

Yes thats the program! thanks for reminding me, thanks for the names and stuff too I will have to type in their names into Spotify to listen to some recordings and get educated. I'm ok, you can see me on here more often now, yes you guessed it I have no job again :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :cry:. Anyway I have more piano pratice time now, and my cat is happy I'm at home again.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:Anyone know of any good books to get that are about grade 2-3 level which would be a good starting point to try some out, I’m not really interested in arrangements or versions of pieces that have been simplified too much.

Marky, I’m sure you are the best person on here to help answer my questions!
:)
I came across a tuition book from Homespun taught by Warren Bernhardt who is pretty good at outlining the basics. He produces a book/CD pack as well as a three DVD set. Hearandplay.com also produce tuition DVDs that emphasise basic to advanced improvisation. The thing about jazz is that it's predominantly based in improvisation. Having said that, I noticed ABRSM produce a syllabus for their jazz piano examinations so you will be able to find something that is literally graded to suit you. I have other books in the shed but it's 12:30 am now and am in my jammies! Will check them out for you later.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks Mark,

I had I quick look at the AB Jazz syllabus titles, so might get one of them, but the cds that have recordings of the pieces are £8! looks like I will need to sight read my way through the pieces, slowly *groan*. Anyother stuff and books that might be helpfull feel free to post...
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You might be able to borrow the cd from the library; always worth a go!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;