oldies and the piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

oldie

oldies and the piano

Post by oldie »

I apologise if there is another topic on this. I found several posts which mentioned their age, but could not find a thread devoted to us more mature learners!

I'm 74 and have been learning for about 2 years and am finding it painfully slow. Any one else out there feeling the same?
Gill the Piano

Re: oldies and the piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm not sure that age has much to do with it; any age over about 20 and you're going to be in the same oat as any adult learner! But at least if you're retired you can get in a bit more practice! :D
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
oldie

Post by oldie »

Thank you, Gill. Think positively! Any tips about speeding up the process would be welcome. There is nothing wrong with my fingers which are well able to cope, or with my brain which fully understands what is expected. What is so dire is the connection between the two! :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You are learning not only a new mental process but a new physical one as well. How long is it since you did either? And then you have to combine the two. So you need to give your brain and body a chance to get going again! I know what you're going through because I took up the classical guitar as an adult...the music part wasn't the problem, but getting my head round the fingers being renumbered, the hands being the 'wrong way up'....well! Plus putting up with my husband comparing my language unfavourably with John williams (although I subsequently found out we might have had a lot more in common re the bad language!). You're just a hero for giving it a go at all!
Patience and practice...:)
I play for my own amazement... :piano;