Should I find another teacher?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Should I find another teacher?

Post by Rooty Toot »

Hi guys,

Just after some advise. Starting having piano lessons 12 weeks ago, something I have always wanted to do. Arranged to have one lesson a week, but out of the 12 weeks I've had 4 lessons. Admittedly I had to cancel one when I got stuck in traffic, but the rest have been cancelled by my teacher. I wouldn't mind so much, but they are always cancelled 5 minuted before or after the start of my lesson time. I understand he has had some personal issues, with the arrival of a child etc.

My problem is I practice really hard for the week after my lesson, but then as soon as it gets cancelled I lose motivation, so by the time I have another lesson I appear not to have practiced (the nerves don't help either).

My question is, do I give him a break and see how it goes for a while longer, or do I find myself a more reliable teacher?

Also, how long would people normally take before sitting an exam? This is something I am interested in doing, and he said I was at grade 2/3 standard, but so far I have not been given any exam pieces, but maybe I'm just being impatient!?

Thanks for your opinions!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Should I find another teacher?

Post by markymark »

Rooty Toot wrote:Hi guys,

Just after some advise. Starting having piano lessons 12 weeks ago, something I have always wanted to do. Arranged to have one lesson a week, but out of the 12 weeks I've had 4 lessons. Admittedly I had to cancel one when I got stuck in traffic, but the rest have been cancelled by my teacher. I wouldn't mind so much, but they are always cancelled 5 minuted before or after the start of my lesson time. I understand he has had some personal issues, with the arrival of a child etc.
It doesn't sound like your teacher has thought seriously about how the arrival of a baby was going to impinge on his daily routine. Understandably, it sounds like he is putting his new family first - and rightly so - however, from your perspective, it doesn't take much imagination to see where you education is being placed....

Have you talked to him about it yet? Sometimes telling a teacher about your concerns can be the kick in the butt that is needed to help him realise how he is inconveniencing and, well let's face it, geopardising your progress. Speak to him first and see if there is any change. If no immediate change, then start looking into other teachers.

This may be a good juncture to find new teachers as many children stop after their last piano exam (the main patch of exams for this season just passed) and piano teacher may have some slots appearing in their schedules.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Should I find another teacher?

Post by markymark »

If you can find another teacher without having to go on a waiting list with a few others then just up and move to another one that suits. However, if you are in a high demand area with low teacher numbers, leaving your teacher may not be a good idea before giving him a chance to improve his service.

If you do plan to go, have you next teacher ready to start when you do quit. That way, you are not missing out completely.