New piano teacher - help me re music and exam grades

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

jonese452

New piano teacher - help me re music and exam grades

Post by jonese452 »

Hi there
I am starting to teach the piano after a break of about 16 years ( I last taught whilst in sixth form). I am offering beginner lessons for children up to about Grade 2.
I was going to use books by Pauline Hall as after looking in the music shop I liked the style, The two I was going to use were Tunes for 10 fingers (for 5 to 8 years) and Piano Time (8 years up).

My quiestion is - is this enough material to use to follow these books or do I need additional books to supplement these two. Also more importantly how do these fit into the Grade Examinations as I am sure parents will ask me about this,
Thanks in advance
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: New piano teacher - help me re music and exam grades

Post by markymark »

If you are stuck, each music board produces teacher's notes to help highlight or remind teachers of the main features of pieces in the grade pieces. When you are planning anything, you always need to know where you are going in your lessons.

Sometimes, working backwards from say initial grade can help scaffold your planning and help you choose materials you need to build your pupils up towards that standard.