Classical piano music for left hand only

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

simplesimon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Classical piano music for left hand only

Post by simplesimon »

Are there any teachers out there who have an opinion about piano music for the left hand only? I have a few pieces that I play by Godowsky and Brahms. Left hand pieces stretch piano technique for the left hand and the sound produced is quite distinctive. If you play it using both hands it doesn't sound right.

Does left hand music have value for teaching?

Is there any other left hand only music that anyone knows about?
When you practice slowly, you learn fast.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Classical piano music for left hand only

Post by Moonlight »

There is a left handed piece by Scriabin, a prelude for the left hand Op 9 No 1 in the current issue of Pianist magazine I noticed. Its sounds nice but is for advanced players.
emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by emmac »

There is a piano album for the left hand advertised on the following website, but I have no knowledge of the standard of the pieces.

http://www.fandmusic.com/lefthand.htm
simplesimon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by simplesimon »

Many thanks to Moonlight and emmac. The Scriabin is quite something. I'm not so sure how to play some of the hand spreads so a bit of practice required.

For the contemporary works, it is good to know that there are composers creating this kind of music.

Does anyone have an opinion about left hand piano pieces and their value in teaching the piano?
When you practice slowly, you learn fast.
bluedianthus
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by bluedianthus »

I'm bad at producing good sound with my left hand, it's not synchronized with my right hand. As I play ear, sometimes the sound felt 'awkward'. i hope someone can help me by providing some videos how to play with left hand...thanks in advanced
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Use scales and finger exercises, focusing mainly on your left - you don't need a video for that!
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

Often when I tell someone that I play piano music written for the left hand alone, at first I see a puzzled or even blank expression staring back at me. I imagine their brain whirling in an attempt to make sense of what I have said -- possibly trying to imagine that such a thing could be something anyone would want to listen to, let alone play.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There is now a young concert pianist (trained at the Royal College of Music, I think) who only has the use of one arm. Fantastic player. Nicholas McCarthy (I just googled it), and he only uses his left arm.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
rocklandpiano
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by rocklandpiano »

Often when I tell someone that I play piano music written for the left hand alone, at first I see a puzzled or even blank expression staring back at me. I imagine their brain whirling in an attempt to make sense of what I have said -- possibly trying to imagine that such a thing could be something anyone would want to listen to, let alone play.
So when someone is familiar with this piece, it does give me an ideal starting point to tell them about the wonderful, and surprisingly rich repertoire of piano music for the the left hand alone.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

rocklandpiano wrote:Often when I tell someone that I play piano music written for the left hand alone, at first I see a puzzled or even blank expression staring back at me. I imagine their brain whirling in an attempt to make sense of what I have said -- possibly trying to imagine that such a thing could be something anyone would want to listen to, let alone play.
So when someone is familiar with this piece, it does give me an ideal starting point to tell them about the wonderful, and surprisingly rich repertoire of piano music for the the left hand alone.
This reply of yours - reference playing with left-hand only - is totally unconvincing, :x given that this is a direct copy of a posting on the blog of pianist Keith Snell some time ago!
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"