ABRSM vs ICMA

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

ABRSM vs ICMA

Post by Rooty Toot »

Hi guys,

I have my first piano lesson this evening and I am soooo excited!!

I was intending on working towards my grades under ABRSM, which my teacher is fine with, however, he has suggested I might want to consider ICMA exams instead. I hadn't previously heard of these awards, but my teacher is an examiner for them and says they offer more variety.

I was just interested to get other peoples opinions. Has anyone sat these exams?
I am an adult learner, who has always wanted to play and would be interested in a variety of styles.

Thanks for your opinions.
R
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: ABRSM vs ICMA

Post by markymark »

Rooty Toot wrote: I was intending on working towards my grades under ABRSM, which my teacher is fine with, however, he has suggested I might want to consider ICMA exams instead.
Is the IMCA not the Computer Music Association?
Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rooty Toot »

markymark wrote:
Rooty Toot wrote: I was intending on working towards my grades under ABRSM, which my teacher is fine with, however, he has suggested I might want to consider ICMA exams instead.
Is the IMCA not the Computer Music Association?
I thought that when I first looked it up on the internet, but apparently is stands for Independent Contempory Music Award.
Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rooty Toot »

dave brum wrote:As a matter of interest, who is your teacher and how far away is he?

For me, ABRSM as they are the most popular and it's what I'm used to. Maybe it's what teacher is used to also, if it's good enough for him sort of thing. I'd just concentrate on letting him be the master, after all whatever exam you use both ultimately lead to mastery of the instrument!

Best of British!!!!!
My teacher is Steve Carrigan from Sounds Music Academy in Kidderminster, literally just round the corner from my house (which was one of the reason I chose him). Meeting for the first time later, so we'll see how it goes. I've always taken ABRSM exams in the past with my French Horn, so it'll be interesting to see what he says about ICMA.
Rooty Toot
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rooty Toot »

That's him!

Will keep you all posted with how I get on.

:piano; (me later!!)