Grade 2 what is involved?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Grade 2 what is involved?

Post by StuartAU »

HI all, even though i havent had my results back yet, my tutor is preparing me for grade 2 in July even if i aint ready just for experience purely because of my "Nerves".. Also, i asked whether i could take 2 exams in teh same day and re-do Grade 1, as a started before grade 2 as i feel id go back in less nervous :)

I am about 80% through my 3 grade 2 songs and just need a lot of tidying up..
1: A2, Allegro Grasioso BIEHL
2: B1, MAzurka, Delibes
3: B6? Reviewing the situation, lionel bart / Triest something
I love playing the trieste one and can do it quite well but wont be using that as it seemed a tad easy for grade 2 compared to grade 1 Minuetto...
Anyway, what id like to know is, apart from the 3 songs and sight reading, what else is involved and is there anything online i can see to get the jist as i have 3 weeks off for easter and want a head start to go back and impress :)
thanks
Stuart
oh im taking ABRSM
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Grade 2 what is involved?

Post by markymark »

You can check out the syllabus details for ABRSM using their website:
http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/graded ... buses.html

All I have done here is copy the urls for the details you need.

General requirements for ABRSM Piano, Grade 2:
http://www.abrsm.org/resources/pianoSyllabus0902.pdf

Aural tests for Grade 2:
http://www.abrsm.org/resources/auralSyllabus0802.pdf

Practical Musicianship for Grade 2:
http://www.abrsm.org/resources/practica ... us0802.pdf
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If the notes seem easy it means you have to be spot on with dynamics. You don't get owt fer nowt, as they say Oop North...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Yeah....

Every grade introduces new time and key signatures, stretches, fingering and activity for the hands. Look carefully for louds and softs, slurs, ties, etc.

...but you shouldn't be finding them overly easy unless you found Grade 1 an aboslute breeze!

Note briefly that Gill started the "Are you sure you're doing it properly" line. :wink:
StuartAU
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by StuartAU »

wow that was a quick response :)..

when i say i have picked them up to about 70-80%, i mean i have memorised the notes :)
the staccato legato i havent yet got but only started 2 weeks ago and have till july.
the scaled seem a lot harder especially both hands..
my main hurdle is the sight reading.. im still finding it hard and my brain seems to lock up when looking at notes. especially in chords/flats sharps naturals etc.. seems to take ages to process and i play it at 20 speed instead of 100 lol,

ill chekc them links out and look at the scales and work on them whilst going through sight reading and concentrating on note type as much as the note itself :)

thanks peeps :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

StuartAU wrote: I am about 80% through my 3 grade 2 songs and just need a lot of tidying up..
1: A2, Allegro Grasioso BIEHL
2: B1, MAzurka, Delibes
3: B6? Reviewing the situation, lionel bart / Triest something
Ha Ha you picked the ones I was going to do! I'm doing:

1: A2, Allegro Grasioso, Biehl - ( 95% finished )

2: B2, Allegro moderato, Reinecke - ( 70% finshed )

3: C2, Mozzie, Elissa Milne - ( 90% Finished )

I was going to do the Mazurka but I got really bored of playing it! :lol: its really repetitive. So I recently changed to the Reinecke one. I'm going to do the exam in November. I was going to do the June one but its too soon for me and my sight reading needs to be way more better to be grade 2 level! For grade 2 sight reading both hands play together and there are some new key signatures, and doted notes. I need all the time I can get as this will be my first test :shock: .

Quick question, how many pieces do they make you sight read in the exam?! :o

and btw. gook luck!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:Quick question, how many pieces do they make you sight read in the exam?! :o
For sight reading, it is usually two or three lines of music suited towards a sight reading test. It will not be at a comparable standard with your performance pieces, but you will encounter similar key and time signatures. The technical stuff is the same although not at as high a standard.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

markymark wrote: Note briefly that Gill started the "Are you sure you're doing it properly" line. :wink:
:shock: Moi? I'm just an 'umble pianner chooner, sir....I knows nuffink... :)
I play for my own amazement... :piano;