Chordal Questions!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gav_Gardiner

Chordal Questions!

Post by Gav_Gardiner »

Hey all
I just started getting back into piano and bought myself a chord book.
I'm a bit confused with the add2 and add9 chords it gives. Being a guitarist, I'm used to learning these kinds of chords as separate shapes, but all my keyboard chord book has for this type of chord is 'add2, add9' then the shape (as in, just one shape for both these chord types).

I hope that made some sort of sense, if so any explanation as to why you would have only one shape for both of these would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Gav
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Chordal Questions!

Post by markymark »

When you "add" another note to a chord, you are adding that note number from the scale to the chord.

In the case of Cadd9, it really means, C major with an added 9th note.
Similarly in the case of Cadd2, we are adding the 2nd note of C major to the chord.

In the major scale, D is the second note AND is also the 9th note (only an octave higher)
Effectively, Cadd2 and Cadd9 can be played the same because they have the same note composition, ie. C, D(the added 2nd), E, G. You could play a Cadd9 like this which has a slightly different sound: C, E, G, D(added 9th). You start to hit limitations with people's span or stretch which is also why the Cadd is reroganised to look like the add2 chord.
Gav_Gardiner

Re: Chordal Questions!

Post by Gav_Gardiner »

Aaah I see, seems so obvious now you've explained it.
Thanks alot mate