Brand new - what book to self teach/

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

dmahon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Brand new - what book to self teach/

Post by dmahon »

OK, here's the situation - brand new to the piano, really brand new as in never played a note. The piano, a gift for my daughter who has recently started learning with a teacher at the school, is due to be delivered in the next fornight.

I want to learn too, but don't want traditional lessons from a teacher - not yet at least. I'd be too embarrassed until I can at least do the basics. I did learn the violin for several years so am OK to some extent with theory.

What book(s) would anyone recommend?

So far, the following have been suggested:

The Classic Piano Course
Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course

Thanks in advance.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brand new - what book to self teach/

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

I've tried both the Classic Piano Course and Alfred's one. Alfred's now sits, unused on the shelf, I didn't get on with it at all as I found he used some terms before explaining them. The Classic Piano Course is good, but is assumes some knowledge on reading music, which may be fine for you. The one Dave mentioned is the one my husband likes, he has no musical experience at all, and found he could get started with that and he couldn't with the other ones.

I now use the Fanny Waterman books, as they were recommended by my teacher. Working through them, with her, teaches me the basics and that's what I need, not to rush ahead, but to learn each bit thoroughly. You shouldn't be worried about going to a teacher with zero knowledge, it will be easier to be taught how to do things "right" from the off, rather than do your own thing, only to have to re-learn them at a later date. For me, that's been essential as I have unruly fingers from 25 years of touch-typing :roll:

Any teacher will not care if you know nothing, all you need is to be keen to learn and put in the effort.

Jan
cassidybole
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cassidybole »

Violin is an instrument that you can pick up bad habits really quick. I think it is best to get a teacher sooner than later.
dmahon wrote: 26 Mar 2009, 22:55 OK, here's the situation - brand new to the piano, really brand new as in never played a note. The piano, a gift for my daughter who has recently started learning with a teacher at the school, is due to be delivered in the next fornight.

I want to learn too, but don't want traditional lessons from a teacher - not yet at least. I'd be too embarrassed until I can at least do the basics. I did learn the violin for several years so am OK to some extent with theory.

What book(s) would anyone recommend?

So far, the following have been suggested:

The Classic Piano Course
Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course

Thanks in advance.