Plasters on fingers?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Plasters on fingers?

Post by fumbler »

Earlier this week the Beeb showed two programmes on Afred Brendel, the first about his life and the second from a recital. He seems an aimiable enough bloke, quite modest with no great ambitions of fame. When he played I was surprised at the sheer bulk of his hands, more like bricklayers', and his fingering seemed awkward to say the least.

In his recital he had the tips of his thumbs and the first two fingers on both hands wrapped with plaster, the sort of old-fashioned stretchy fabric tape you used to get. Just a slight covering of the fingertips, nothing too heavy. Why do you think he did that? Itr could hardly be damage to his fingers or nails, could it? Or was it just for grip?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Plasters on fingers?

Post by markymark »

It could well have been due to splitting nails to which I am also susceptible. Mind you, it's only beause I have been playing aggressive pieces or else because I have been hitting the keys hard tackling some contemporary improvisation from rock blues or gospel blues like that.

If the nail splits beyond the growth bit (the white bit), you can feel the weakness in the nail as well as it bending under the pressure. I have used a plaster in the past to support the nail and prevent any more damage or discomfort. Any damage occurs in the thumb and first two fingers.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Could be splits in the fingertips from cold/dryness/washing up...or he might be a diabetic and went mad with the old blood test. Or he might be attention-seeking - which worked, obviously. Or he might be a hypochondriac. Or he might just like wearing plasters...
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Yeah, I saw that and wondered what it was about. I also noticed he had them on his fingers in an earlier performance / and rehearsal that they showed on the program. Well it didn't hinder his playing or touch I think, I loved the Schubert impromptu 3 8).
It could well have been due to splitting nails
:o :( OUCH! calm down Marky when playing! :lol: There should hopefully be no chance of that happening to me, as I keep my nails really short - Just can't stand the sound of them taping on the keys! :x
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote::( OUCH! calm down Marky when playing!
It only happens if my finger nails aren't short enough when tackling blues or the contemporary music we play at church. Classical music is not way near raw enough to do that sort of damage to your manicure!