How to become a piano teacher if I am from a foreign country

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

hb_bea

How to become a piano teacher if I am from a foreign country

Post by hb_bea »

Hi, my name is Bea. I am from Romania,where I used to teach piano for 5 years.I got my piano degree back home in Romania 3 years ago.
Now I am working as an au-pair, but planning to change my job.I would like to become a piano teacher here , I already have some experience in teaching in England.
Could you recommend any fast courses, that would prepare me to teach in an English school?
How could I apply for a job in school? What would i need?

Thank you for your help :D
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: How to become a piano teacher if I am from a foreign country

Post by markymark »

If you want to teach a public school music class, you would need to complete a PCGE (postgraduate Certifcate of Education) in music.

If on the other hand you want to teach within a music department privately on-to-one, you shouldn't really need anything extra. At least if you do a PGCE, you are covered either way.

As far as applying for jobs in concerned, you start by going around the schools with your CV and availing yourself for subbing work. Generally, teacher posts are advertised for England in local newspapers, LEA websites and in the TES (Teacher Education Supplement). Mind you, you will not get into a public school classroom without qualified teacher status.
pintwister
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pintwister »

Why not try becoming an online teacher.
Then it does not matter where you live. The best Online teaching site I have found is

http://OnlinePianoLessonsLive.com

When you visit the site, send your resume and picture to the E-Mail contact listed.
There are also instructions listed.

Good Luck
Bob Duncan
Piano Tuner
EarlMarsden
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by EarlMarsden »

You may also establish your own music studio and become a private music teacher. This can also be exciting and rewarding. You may try Music Teachers Helper, a web-based computer program for music teachers, that can help you in managing your studio - handling everything from billing and lesson schedules, to communication and tax reports.
Music Teacher's Helper - the easiest way to manage your private music studio.