Getting back into Piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Ryles K

Getting back into Piano

Post by Ryles K »

Hi, I used to play but about 3 or 4 years ago I quit a while after completing Grade 1, I just have a couple of questions.
1. I'm looking for a teacher if anybody could recommend one in the Lincolnshire area?
2. I've tried to play a few pieces and remembers the basics ie. scales and chords but can't really play anything so would I need to completely restart and redo grade 1?

Thanks
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Getting back into Piano

Post by markymark »

Ryles K wrote:I've tried to play a few pieces and remembers the basics ie. scales and chords but can't really play anything so would I need to completely restart and redo grade 1?
Have you tried to play your exam pieces from Grade 1?
Redoing Grade 1 may be a slightly drastic action to take if you haven't given yourself a chance to get back on the saddle!

My advice to you would be to go over your scales and get your finger loosened up and finger muscles working again. If you haven't played for a while, your hands may be sluggish and lazy-feeling.

As well as that, have a look at your exam pieces and try to refamiliarise your hand-to-eye co-ordination as well as basic reading skills.

Try playing other pieces that are in the book but ones that you did not chose for your examination.

By Grade 1 standard, you will not have a fully developed music skill yet so do not be too discouraged if sight-reading and fluency are still weaknesses. However, if after all this preparation you still find youself struggling, then consider redoing Grade 1 with your new teacher, after some discussion with him/her of course!