Starting from scratch Have I left it too late :(

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

KEBBER82

Starting from scratch Have I left it too late :(

Post by KEBBER82 »

I'm 27 and have always had a dream at playing the piano, I did have a chance at school but other issue prevented that. I live in South Yorks, I've found that forums are usually best places to look as people who come on here really enjoy what they do.

I work as a driving instructor, so it would be nice to be a learner for once :) Can anyone give me some advice on where to start, maybe recomend a good tutor in SY.

Many Thanks :)
cazmal
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Starting from scratch Have I left it too late :(

Post by cazmal »

Hi Kebber82

No you haven't left it too late - I started when I turned 40, again something I always wanted to do. I am now grade 5.

Go for it (sorry can't help with teacher info as I'm down south)
KEBBER82

Post by KEBBER82 »

Thanks for that I feel at ease now and looking forward to eventually learning
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Are you wanting to go down the traditional "grade" system or are you just looking to learn to play by ear?
KEBBER82

Post by KEBBER82 »

What ever is easiest for a newbie like myself, I have already bought a keyboard to practice with and at moment is sat doing nothing, I would love to be able to play by ear. I'm also double jointed in my fingers, so I'm not sure if that will have an affect on things,
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well someone has already said, you're never too old to learn piano. It's just too late when you stop wanting to learn a new skill.

In a nutshell, playing by ear depends on having a good musical ear coupled with a good understanding of chords. It's a rather contemporary method but develops purely from this improvised approach. No music reading is required at all which is why I think it's easier.

However, if you want to be able to sit down and play a piece of music written in standard formal music notation, then piano lessons are going to be a must. Results will take longer in terms of seeing a meaningful outcome.

I'm trying not to comment on either method because they have their own strengths. Speaking from my personal experience, having the ability to do both is extremely beneficial and amazes those around you - not that that is the main thrust for learning the piano!
KEBBER82

Post by KEBBER82 »

Thanks that last comment really helped, I think by ear will be best for confidence building and I think will help when I decide to go further and learn how to read sheet music.

So based on this can anyone suggest where would be a good place to start
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

To get you started, have a look at these links:

http://www.yokewong.net/pianolessononline.html

http://www.pianobychords.com/thebasics.html

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYnz3voGlY (Tom Willet)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRj6C_SWF7g (From Expert Village)

Yoke Wong is geared more towards folk who have some classical training and who want to develop playing by ear. This is by no means an exhaustive list but there is plenty there to start with. With reference to the Youtube videos, be aware that these have a series of videos progressing in content and difficulty.

I'll try to get a list of good starter resources for playing piano by ear soon but as I say, this is loads for now!
KEBBER82

Post by KEBBER82 »

Thank i'll have a look now while i'm doing nothing and I'm sat with keyboard infront of me,
I 've sent you a PM too :)
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

There is a lot in these four links I gave you. Just doing a simple search for "chord piano" on Youtube will keep you occupied for a while!
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

Just over a year ago my wife took up the cello - a much harder proposition that the piano (I am a pianist). We are both mid-sixties, so you are certainly not too late. Apart from some piano lessons in childhood, she had never played an instrument of any kind. After a year, she is about Grade 2 standard and we enjoy playing music together. One thing I think is essential, if you want to at least keep options open re future ambitions: a good teacher. Help in learning the basics will really pay off in the future. Go for it. Good luck.