Returning to the piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

rachp

Returning to the piano

Post by rachp »

Hello, I have just taken delivery of my new piano after 10 years away and naturally am very excited. I am desperate for some new music and disappointed to find all the music shops seem to be online now - can't flick through the books anymore! Anyway I want a tutorial book and recon I have slipped to grade 5ish. There seems to be loads of beginner books, I wondered if anyone can recommend an intermediate book or series - I like classical stuff but need some refresher excercises and theory etc
Ta
Rachael
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Returning to the piano

Post by Descombes »

Rachael
I'm not sure where you are, but there ARE real bricks-and-mortar music shops around, even if you have to travel some distance. I agree that there is no substitute for seeing the books; even the feel of them is important. You can't tell from an online picture whether a piece of music is going to last or will fall apart after a couple of weeks.

There is such a lot of suitable music for your level; and you have the experience to recognise what will appeal to you. I'm sure that someone will be able to recommend a shop if you give some idea of your area.

Let's resist this awful 21st century trend to take the sociability out of shopping.

Of course, one approach would be to get the current Ass Board syllabus (available from your local music shop!!!) and get the book of pieces for your grade - or, even better, the volumes containing the alternative pieces, which would give you a huge range of material at approximately your level.

I have taught a lot of "returners". It's amazing how quickly it all comes back.
rachp

Post by rachp »

Thanks, I will have a look and the exam stuff sounds like a good idea.
I am in Harrogate, so if anyone knows of any good shops nearby I would be gratefull.
Rachael
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Isn't Harrogate near York? If so, Banks of York claims to be one of the largest stockists of music in the country. You are fortunate to be closer to a good music shop than most of us! I'm sure you'll find what you want there.

Actually, this raises the question of which is the best-stocked music shop in the UK these days. Chappells of (used to be) Bond Street is OK, though they have an irritating habit of only having one copy of each piece on the shelves - and the staff are far from ideal! I'm not sure about Foyles now! And most of the best shops outside London (like Russell Acotts in Oxford) have gone.

Personally I look back fondly on the wonderful Cramer's in St Martin's Lane, many years ago. A smallish shop, but it had everything, including a helpful and knowledgeable elderly man whose name was something like Mr de Lisle (?).

Yes, Rachael probably has the best place on her doorstep!
rachp

Post by rachp »

Well I never, thanks, it's only about half an hour away! I am originally from Bradford and remember spending hours as a child in 'Woods', gazing at shiny new pianos and flipping through nice books when I had been sent for the next book of scales by my teacher. I think it closed down years ago - shame.
Anyway, I am very grateful thanks
rachp

Post by rachp »

Thanks Dave, not sure if they sell much music though, I may give them a ring. Cheers