Grade 2 pieces (2009-2010)

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Grade 2 pieces (2009-2010)

Post by ebonyivory »

Hello again,

I wanted an excuse to post again and stay in touch. Now I have found one! :D

I have chosen the first piece I want to learn from the exam pieces book. It's called Mozzie and I have found a video on youtube of a little girl playing it. She is only 8!!! I am sooo jealous! Never mind, I will plod away until I can play it. :?

I can't choose from the others yet because none appeal that much, but I am sure me and 'the teach' will work it out. I have twisted her arm to let me start the pieces. :lol:

Kim.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Which examinations board do you use?
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

I did my grade 1 with ABRSM.

That applies to the grade 2 book I am using as well.

Kim.
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Did any of you have a chance to look at the little girl on youtube playing Mozzie. Don't know how to do a link so I put in 'piano mozzie'
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Please take a look at this little girl playing 'mozzie' if you get time.

What do you think of the tune? I think it's fun for an exam piece.

I can just about manage the first four bars now, both hands, very slowly.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

ABRSM seem to have followed Trinity Guildhall's lead on this one.
Both examination boards are starting to put in more contemporary pieces, I suppose to generate more interest among young players and to relate with their prior experiences of music. Not many eight or nine year olds would listen to Rachmaninov for pleasure, so I suppose introducing some light blues is a genre more familiar to younger people so what not introduce it?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi ebonyivory

Its sounds cool played by that girl. I might learn it for my grade 2 when I get there if its still available to do by then!

This tune is also roughly grade two, its a nice Beethoven dance that I'm learning now, I can play the first bit ok its the middle section I'm now trying to work on. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9i14c9mzyxs I think this littel boy plays it nicely at a nice tempo, but its a bit too reverby as its played on stage.

By the way. If you want to place a link just copy and paste all that code stuff from the very top of the panel of your web browser. like I have done here! :wink:
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Well I am having a go, hope it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZqMcwZQGA

Thanks Moonlight
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

I've had a look at the little girl playing Mozzie. It sounded pretty good for someone of that age but I'm sure you can give it a bit of oomph, ebonyivory. And don't play it on your side...
Regard music as a precious gift. See me at www.yourforte.net. Elaine
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

I am glad someone had a look!

I am now learning 'the first snowdrop' too and found an even younger asian lad playing that.

I have also chosen 'rondo', but haven't started learning that one yet.
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

No, really don't fancy that one.
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Don't stop me! I am feeling excited!

I have had a lesson tonight and she walked me through to the end of Mozzie. I can't wait to be able to fly solo. Gonna crack that one this xmas hols.

Also, a few more bars of Snowdrop. Can't believe it. I am of course nowhere up to speed but the notes are there.

The downer, that I am not going to think about too much, is that apparently there are millions of new scales stuff to learn... bummer!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Try to get some finger exercises fitted in there too to promote finger flexibility and general hand strength also. That will really help you with your scales.
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Oh no marky... not finger exercises too! :( party pooper!

Are you a grade 8 or higher type person? Grrrrrr! :lol:
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

ebonyivory wrote:Oh no marky... not finger exercises too! :( party pooper!

Are you a grade 8 or higher type person? Grrrrrr! :lol:
Yes I am and there's no sustitute for a well toned hand!

Atheletes won't be able to compete with a low fitness levels and upcoming pianists can't expect to develop as well as they possibly can without hands that are fit and in shape!

Mind you, I remember reading somewhere that there is a good case for pianists having an overall good level of fitness. I know singers ought to but pianists.....

:?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

markymark wrote:Try to get some finger exercises fitted in there too to promote finger flexibility.
Hey Mark,

What ones would you recomend for that then? any exercises for flexibility in the Hanon book; what exercise number would they be?

I do wish my hand would stretch a bit better ( but I don't want to end up like Schumann! :shock: ) so I could do octaves without pressing other keys! mind you, trying to do them on acoustic pianos is easier I think.

I also agree that finger exercises are a benefit , they help in my opinion to develop a feel and understading of how the keys react when played in different ways, as well as promote relaxation of the hand.

I tried out a keyboard two weeks ago, and the keys felt sooooo light OMG! I have got realy used to piano keys now! even my digital piano has seemed to of got lighter! :wink:
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Hello Moonlight

How far along piano road are you? Are you near the beginning like me, or a bit further on?

I struggle to stretch an octave and half press the keys on the inside in both directions. I am a short podgy person and so are my fingers!!! :)

I can't imagine how I can make the stretch any different/longer. If something works on my fingers I will try it on my legs! :lol:
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Oh my god, I just read that back and it sounds awful.

I mean, if something makes my fingers longer, I would use it to make my legs longer, as I am only 5'1".
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

ebonyivory wrote:Hello Moonlight

How far along piano road are you? Are you near the beginning like me, or a bit further on?
Hi Ebonyivory,

I would class myself as a beginner too, I have been learning the piano for 11 months now, and have had only 4 piano lessons. I was 'teaching' myself for about 9 months.

I'm going through the grade 1 pieces with my teacher, she thinks I'm ready to take the exam soon, so I should be doing the exam early nextyear.

I'm also working on other pieces that are probably grade 1 and 2 (and possably higher? ), I moved off my piano method book and have been learning some Bach and Beethoven pieces recently.

You know, if you post something embarasing you can delete it if you go 'Edit' ! :lol: :wink:
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

Thanks for your reply Moonlight and telling me about the edit thing. Now I know it's there, I can't believe I didn't see it before!

You sound like you are doing tremendously well for only having four lessons. I can't wait until the gang all have their Grade 1's.
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

I have been looking at these and other YouTube videos re grade 1, 2 ... etc One thing I notice - and surprizes me is that many of these children playing these pieces read from the partition in front of them. Is this just these particular videos - or do you have to memorize these pieces for the grade exams?
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

no memorising is necessary on the pieces, but as any student will tell you it certainly will improve the fluency of your playing in the exam room.
Thanks for the info ... I was just curious to compare the UK system with the French system where memorizing the piece is expected. You have to present the music to the examiner before you play (a real printed partition - no photocopies allowed). The only occasion when you are expected to follow the music is when you accompany someone for the chamber music exams. In this case the pianist is expected to keep one (or two eyes) on the partition at all times in case the other instrumentalist makes a mistake and jumps somewhere ... and the pianist is meant to be able to smoothly jump to wherever.

Anyway - that is the French system - and the whole education system is geared to exercising and improving the memory....

I will take this opportunity: Dave Brum - best of luck with your Grade 1 exams
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Hi Crispin!

I didn't realise that you came from France!

I must say that your English is very good.

J'étudais le français jusqu'a la fin de ma premiere année a l'université mais de temps en temps, a l'occasion, je peux l'utiliser!

By the way, this forum doesn't like grave accents (speaking grammatically of course!)
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

Dear Markymark

Actually I am as British as I assume you are... it is just that I left the UK many eons ago ... and have lived in France for the last 20 years - actually my French is not as good as it should be - my children laugh at my accent - but that is life...

Anyway I am curious re the UK piano teaching - hence my questions...

- Crispin
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Ach gorfynt, Dave?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

The online Irish courses don't tend to be very good because you can't hear exactly how the words are being pronounced.

I only know a few phrases or words because of the bi-lingual road signs. I would be keen to learn it, but again, Michel Thomas hasn't ventured that far.