Help! Looking for a piano teacher.

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

ruthie.s

Help! Looking for a piano teacher.

Post by ruthie.s »

I live in Abbots Langley in Herts, and am looking for a piano teacher for next year. It is to teach my son who is 5 years old and showing signs of being musical!!

We are new to this area and would really appreciate any suggestions, and happy to hear from piano teachers interested in teaching young children.

Thanks in advance. :)
PBruce

Good websites

Post by PBruce »

Are there any good online websites which teach free piano lessons?
My first Baby Grand Piano site! :D
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

dave brum wrote:I take it you've tried good old musicteachers.co.uk, or even the database in the Piano Teachers section of this site!!

Best of luck anyway Ruth.
Spot on Dave!

You can also check Yellow Pages (www.yell.co.uk)

Jan

PS. PBruce, there are sites that teach music reading and notation and theory, but I think you're better off getting a good book, like Fanny Waterman, Kenneth Baker or Carol Barratt.
Gill the Piano

Re: Good websites

Post by Gill the Piano »

PBruce wrote:Are there any good online websites which teach free piano lessons?
No! No substitute for a proper lesson. Even if you only have a lesson every 2 -3 weeks, you'll learn more. Look at The Complete Piano Player Books(see 'slight beginner' thread).
PBruce

thanks

Post by PBruce »

Thanks for the fast replies...

how about, are there any good mobile pianos that are so small you can carry in your suitcase?? and plug in at your computer so that you can play it easily?

Having trouble staying in one place coz of my studies...
My first Baby Grand Piano site! :D
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

PBruce, some books have a dummy printed paper keyboard that you can carry to help you learn your notes. I recon that's about as much use as something that size could be. I find it more helpful to practice note reading from music when I'm not near my piano.

Jan
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dave brum wrote:I take it you've tried good old musicteachers.co.uk, or even the database in the Piano Teachers section of this site!!

Best of luck anyway Ruth.

We have had teachers who have been reject by us telling us that they are listed on musicteachers so we should list them on here. As we insist of a minimum of Grade we will not list them we reject 2 out of 3 that apply manly on qualifications

We had one the other day with Grade 3

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

crikey
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Barrie Heaton wrote:

We have had teachers who have been reject by us telling us that they are listed on musicteachers so we should list them on here. As we insist of a minimum of Grade we will not list them we reject 2 out of 3 that apply manly on qualifications

Barrie,
"As we insist on a minimum of Grade ????" Did you miss a number here?

Whatever the answer, we're back to the old chestnut:

No grade exam is a teaching qualification!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Descombes wrote:
"As we insist on a minimum of Grade ????" Did you miss a number here?

Whatever the answer, we're back to the old chestnut:

No grade exam is a teaching qualification!

Should have been 8, Having grade 8 is not a teaching qualification but there again some who do have teaching qualifications can't teach.

We have to start somewhere and as the law stands anyone can call themselves a pinao teacher with or without grades it was decided about 2 years ago that 8 would be the minimum to be listed on this site

When we first started to list teachers back in 1996 Grade 6 was the entry level that was felt far to low by us we did consult with ABRSM back in 1996 as they were introducing a teacher course and the entry level was then G6 for their course. For our website that was soon upped to 7 it stayed in place till 2006 when it was upped to 8 and that may change.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page