Hi Everyone - I'm New!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Hi Everyone - I'm New!

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so I thought I would drop in and say hello! :D

To tell you a little bit about myself, I'm 22, I started playing the keyboard when I was about 10, taking lessons for a year or so and then just fell out of habit and the keyboard went away for a very long time.

I've recently got back in and it feels like I've never been away! I've always played for fun, but am going to be getting back into it a lot more seriously now I am a touch more mature! My long term goal is to be able to pick up a score and learn a piece all the way through, as all I have ever really done is to play chords and simple melodies by ear.

I have ordered a book on music theory and how to read music, as well as a book of "easy" classical pieces. I used to only be interested in playing pop songs when I was in my teens but now I love classical music and would love to be able to play some classical pieces.

I'm saving up until my next birthday (May) to buy a digital piano as I really want to strip away all the gimmicky keyboard features and just have a pure piano sound and feel.

Oops, I've been rambling...! Enough about me!

What sort of level is everyone at here? Any more out of practice returners?

Martin :)
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Martin and welcome from me too!

I've only just started learning at the grand old age of 42 and am really enjoying myself. I've only been playing for a few months so am still grade 0 at the moment.

Are you going to have lessons?

As for the digital, there are some great ones out there, but why not buy yourself an acoustic? I'm not very good with electricity :)

Hope to hear more from you soon.

Jan
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Martin, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

I'm a similar age to you! ( 23 ) I wanted to learn the piano when I was 17 and stared to teach myself for a while, but then went to college & university so had no time for it :( .

8 months ago I got out my Casio keyboard and picked up from where I left. I Now have a Yamaha digital piano ( Clp 370 ) and have started to get some lessons. I have been praticing every day! :wink: But I'm still grade 0. I'm going through John Thomson's Adult Prep Book, but am also learning other stuff too.

Good luck !

( and if you need any help, theres lots of experienced people on this site :wink: )
Katmid
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Katmid »

Hi Martin!

I'm 30, so not too much older than you and I started to learn just three short weeks ago. I'd wanted to learn since High School so I got an early (VERY early) Christmas present from my husband a few weeks ago - A Yahama personal piano (fondly referred to as 'stinky digital', but loved nontheless!) Eventually, I will upgrade to a Yamaha Clavinova, but I can't afford one right now. :cry:

My teacher and I are working through the Michael Aaron books. We haven't talked about exams and grading yet but I am basically learning for fun... and stress relief! :D

Welcome to the forum, matey. You will find that everyone here is LOVELY!

~Kat
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hello Martin!
I've been playing over 40 years and I'm still learning!
Go and look at the Bristol Piano Centre at Whiteladies Road (?). Something like that, anyway; if you upgrade later on with them, they give you what you paid for the piano off your next one when you px it.
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

You're such a charmer, Dave :D

Hi Martin!

I've been working hard at the piano for about 10 (and a half) years now. Currently in a panic as I've been asked to play in a wee concert in New York City and nothing I know already seems to be suitable for the organisers!!

Welcome to the piano forum! I honestly don't think you'll find a friendly bunch anywhere else :) :D :)
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the repies! I will be in the market for the piano around April/May next year, and Mickelburgh's will be my first stop. Hopefully they will be willing to match the best internet prices I can find in favour of local custom!

At the moment I'm looking at the Yamaha YDP140 and the Casio Privia PX720. I currently have the Casio WK1800 keyboard which I'll be looking to sell when I get the piano and hope I can fetch maybe £150/£200 for this which can go in the fund!

I've ordered "How to Read Music" by Helen Cooper and also "Library of Easy Piano Classics", and can't wait to get started.

At the moment I tend to play chords with left hand single note accompaniments which sounds ok if you're singing along in your head, but would love to be able to play classical pieces too, and the ultimate dream is to be able to pick up and piece of music and be able to learn it through and play it.

I'm tempted NOT to take lessons at first, mainly from a financial perspective but also because I'd like to see how I get on teaching myself. I'm also not that interested in taking the exams, I play purely for personal pleasure.

It's great to see so many adult returners and beginners here!

Nutroast - The reason I don't get an acoustic is because the walls are not great at concealing sounds, and as I'm something of a night owl the need for headphones is a must as I'll no doubt fancy playing at the most inopportune and unsociable hours!

Piano Angel - that's great about the concert - well done you, that sounds like a fantastic experience.

And Dave - yes the avatar is the Bristol City logo - so it'll be a cold day in hell before I play Goodnight Irene!!!

:D
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd love to take lessons and do everything the proper way, but number one priority for me is the instrument! I really can't wait to get a digital piano, it's what I've wanted since I first learned to play the keyboard! Any thoughts on the two models I mentioned?

And yes, playing "that song" would be a terrible habit to get into.

But I have been learning parts of Ludovico Einaudi's "I Giorni" by ear. Very simple but sounds really effective!
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Yeah it looks pretty nifty and perfect for someone of my level. It's certainly a vast upgrade from my Casio keyboard, and it's available for around £450-£500 now which would be perfect for me.

Though I do really like the Casio PX720 which is available for about £550. I think it looks better than the Yam, but it'll come down to going out and playing a few different models when I have the cash available!

Though knowing me I'll go out with a budget of £500 and spend half as much again under the influence of key lust....!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

We had lust on our reeks in the garden this year :wink: Pianist envy? That did make me :lol:

I know what you mean about the headphones, we were lucky to find an acoustic with a practice pedal. It doesn't mute the piano completely, but cuts the sound down by an awful lot so that I can practice when bubba is in bed. I think the main difference is the weight of the keys and the difference that changes of pressure can make on the keys, there are a lot of dig pianos that seem to do that now to get you pretty close to the feel of an acoustic. I'm just an acoustic snob really :D I'm sure you'll find your perfect piano partner soon. Make sure you keep in touch and let us know what you get. We're a nosey bunch!

For what it's worth, I'm using two teach-yourself books, Carol Barratt (great for teaching you how to play by feel) and Fanny Waterman, more of a childrens book, but was recommended by my teacher and starts from the ground up, something I really neaded. I'm also reading the Associated Board Guide to Music Theory.

Jan
xx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Bris, look at The Complete Piano Player by Kenneth Baker; aimed at adults teaching themselves and uses songs you know. You can probably get it from the library to see how you get on before buying it.
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Heh, Pianist Envy, I like it. I of course have no reason to suffer from this particular condition :wink:

Nutroast - I'll definitley be keeping in touch with you guys to let you know what happens!

I'll be looking at the book suggestions with great interest! The Complete Piano Player is available for around £5 on Amazon.co.uk so that may be a prudent investment! My two books that I've ordered from Amazon should be arriving tomorrow - I'm like a kid at Christmas! :lol:

And Dave - we are indeed spoiled, although I live in South Bristol and work in North Bristol so miss out the centre where most of them are situated!

I'll certainly be shopping around locally when the time comes to take the plunge into pianoland. There's something reassuring about buying something like that from a local reputable dealer!

Do you all have decent music shops in your close vicinity?
DIGITAL PIANO FUND // TARGET: £650 // CURRENT TOTAL: £7.95 // :lol:
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Absolutely not! Luckily my roots are South of the river...I actually work closer to Wales than I do to the centre of Bristol. Now that's worrying!

I noticed that Argos do the YDP140 + Bench for £600, but I've found it online for £476 or £515 with bench, so would order online to save the pennies.

As for the money, I'm due an upgrade on my mobile phone in Jan which I'm planning on selling. If I pick one of the latest models I should be able to pick up around £150/£200 so that will give me a good kickstart to the fund.

I'm also putting away a tenner per week which will give me £300 by my birthday, so I reckon on having £450/£500 by my birthday, so taking into account the undoubted generosity of my family and friends :D I should be able to go out shortly after my birthday and blow the cash!!

I'm a man with a plan!
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Not far Dave, I work in Aust, literally at the foot of the old Severn Bridge!

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=aust&c ... 61577|13|4

Yes I thought it was a cracking deal. I feel confident that beauty, or something very similar will be adorning the house come May next year!
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Unfortunately it's she who must be obeyed's Grandmother's 60th this weekend, so no chance of wriggling out of that one!

BUT I get an exam passing bonus of £400 if I pass my exam in December (results in Feb) from my company so that will be straight in the fund!

Yep I still have my keyboard, it's a Casio WK1800.

http://www.casio.com/products/archive/M ... n/WK-1800/

Funnily enough, I actually work in a business centre in the same park as the Severn View services! Small world :D

Piano sounds good, will you be splurging then?
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

'Tis a shame! What do you play at the moment?

I've decided on where my piano is going to go, but getting it up the stairs is going to be a bitch.... :shock:
BRISTOL86
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by BRISTOL86 »

Excellent, my Dad's not too keen and has visions of me and Mr DHL trashing the place with the piano when it gets delivered, trying to get it up the stairs! :D

And no I'm afraid I haven't seen the show you're on about! Though I do watch a lot of Paramount Comedy shows - I'll have to look out for it!

And yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what Goldie Lookin' Chain were rapping about.... :twisted:
SirTK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by SirTK »

Yamaha can be so confusing with their ranges, model numbers etc.

This summer I needed to buy a digital and was about to buy a P140 (having tried one out in Chappells) so I noted your interest in a YDP140, imagining it must be similar.
However, it seems the YDP140 is a different beast from the P140, despite the similar coding. Looking into it, the YDP has Graded Hammer Standard action, whereas the P140 has Graded Hammer Effect which is an enhanced version of the key action. Whether this enhancement is worth the extra money, only you can tell, by having a try of both models.
For what it's worth, having read all the user reviews, I ended up buying the P85, which is a P140 without the bells and whistles, which comes in at a lower price than both of the above and which has the GHE key action. It doesn't look very flash but is probably a better instrument than the YDP. I love it.
Incidentally, my acoustic (Yamaha P116T) at my UK home is upstairs - it was a hell of a job getting it up there but worth it, and I know it will be easier on the way down!

cheers, Terry
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

SirTK wrote:Yamaha can be so confusing with their ranges, model numbers etc.
Yamaha can be very confusing with their terminology and based on your posting, you seem to have made a quality decision. I posted this on the Digital Piano Forums for people who were considering purchasing a Yamaha digital/stage piano:

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... php?t=6074