How to play boogie woogie with both hands?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

Heheh, no problem Dave :) Thanks for the answear, i will check it out.
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:You're gonna be the best boogie woogier is all Norway in a couple of years time! You heard it here first!

:piano; :piano; :piano; :piano; :piano; :piano; :piano; :piano; :piano;

GO MARIUS!
THANKS :oops: I hope i be a good blues/boogie woogie player here in Norway. I dont know any boogie woogie players here in Norway. Its gonna only be me :lol:

I most practise a lot ! And check if its some boogie lessons on dvd.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You can get blues and gospel riffs on piano on the internet.

Have you tried expert village?

I have quite a few DVDs at home about learning blues, jazz and gospel piano but I have not managed to find something that specifically covers boogie-woogie. I have a Duane Shinn DVD but I think you'd be disappointed as it sounds very like his blues DVD, which isn't all that stunning either in my opinion. You could check out hearandplay.com which covers these bluesy styles of music using video lessons.
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:You play drums too, Marius? Do you play heavy metal sort of thing? My best friend Dom used to play in a goth metal band and his influences are Lars Ulrich (Metallica), John Bonham (Led Zep) and Neil Peart (Rush) oh and the guy from SLAYER too!
Yeah, i play drums too. I play all kind of music, not so much heavy metal. I dont like that music ;) Do you play boogie, dave ?
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

markymark wrote:You can get blues and gospel riffs on piano on the internet.

Have you tried expert village?

I have quite a few DVDs at home about learning blues, jazz and gospel piano but I have not managed to find something that specifically covers boogie-woogie. I have a Duane Shinn DVD but I think you'd be disappointed as it sounds very like his blues DVD, which isn't all that stunning either in my opinion. You could check out hearandplay.com which covers these bluesy styles of music using video lessons.
Yep, i have tried expert village, but i dont think it so good. Its not the right blues version im after, if you understand.

But i have looked at this video. And they have boogie and blues lessons dvd. Maybe I gonna buy it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKaI3gSxhjQ
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:No! I play all sorts so long as it's easy and it helps me to sight read. Classical and rock, I like to play it all. I have a piano teacher and I've got a lot of home work that I've got to play to her on her piano on the 18th of October. And also I'm playing lots of Christmas carols right now! They're easier to play this year than they were last year!!!

Have you been playing long Marius? also have you done any exams or anything?
Nice :) I have been playing drums for 6 years, and piano for 1 year. But i practise when i want, not every day, hehe. I dont have any piano teacher, so i dont have any exams, if i understand you in the right way.
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:Hey Marius, are you teaching yourself to play piano, and are you learning to play 'by ear' or can you read music (that's what I mean by 'sight-reading'

I taught myself to play using a book for around 18 months before I got my piano teacher!
Yeah, im teaching my self. I can listen to a CD, and play after that. Can`t read any piano notes ;)
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:Have you tried learning to sight read as it's a very important skill to have when you're playing something like the piano

But it's real cool jkl you're teaching yourself to play piano, Marius! The only problem with not having a teacher is that if you're doing something that is not right, there is nobody to tell you that you're not doing it right - and so you pick up bad habits if you know what I mean!
You`re right Dave! Its some bad points to learn by your self. But what you mean whit sight reading?
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:
Marius wrote: But what you mean whit sight reading?
Sight reading=reading the printed music on the music stand and playing straight from that!
Oh, now i got it! :)
Marius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Marius »

dave brum wrote:Should be easier for you to learn to sight read than I found it, Marius! I started playing piano when I was 36 and I'm 38 now! You are only 17 and you've got more active brain cells than me!!!! hahaha no seriously go for it Marius! Do you live close to a shop that sells printed music?
Hahah, good one Dave :lol: . Yeah, they sells piano magazines. But i dont know if they have blues and boogie. But i cant read notes. So i most learn that.