MOONLIGHT HAS GOT A TEACHER!!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks Dave! (oooh!, my own thread just like Nutroast! :D )

Yes thats right! I have decided to throw caution to the wind, and have my piano lessons whether I'm out of work or not... I just can't wait any more!!! :shock: I can't quite have lessons as often as I would like but once a month is ok for now until that job comes along.

Bit of info about it: my teacher is a lady, and she teaches Classical and Jazz piano PLUS I get to pratice on a Kawai grand, so that should be verry cool! jkl

I suppose the thing I will enjoy most is the sound of a REAL piano and not my poor digital! Can't wait to here that clear midrange!

I'll keep you guys updated with the info as soon as I get back from my lesson and have a cupa tea! :wink:

Do I feel nervous? No, not yet just looking forward to it! :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

hey! Dave

I have been using my ear phones mostly at night quite a bit nowdays.
It sounds nice but to me the midrange still sounds muffled or 'fake' even with the ear phones .

Oh Dave, I wouldn't put one of you 'pratice cup of coffees' on top your piano! just in case it gets knocked over! :shock: :cry: I never put my 'pratice cup of tea' on mine!

Speaking of strange sounds from the digital piano... my one I noticed makes a kind off buzing/ringing noise when I have the volume up quite high. Its the midrange that does it, is it normal? :shock:

does yours do that Dave?

by the way Hi! :) Sparkley if you are around!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

jkl Don't you think this emoticon looks more like a secret agent then 'cool'?!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hey Dave hows it going?

Thanks for the reminder, I said that to myself yesterday that I only have a week to ago... thats ages to brush up on everything I have learned so far.
I'm gonna go through my John Thomson book today, right from the beginning to where I am now, try to play the grade 1 pieces as well as I can, and then try to play up to bar 35 of Moonlight with out stoping!

I'm having a little bit of a memory block when I try and play those
( dimished , I think they are! ) arpeggios in bars 32 onwards.

I've been a bit naughty I had been concentrating on Beethoven too much and not on the exam pieces so the figering all went mad for the Kummer and T-Rex. It was funny I was playing the Kummer tune and I made a mistake then I played it again and the more I played it the more I forgot the worse it sounded! It was really scary!!! :shock:

So I needed to sight read through them from scratch. After a few long mintues all was ok again! thankfully .

By the way Dave, congratulations!! :) :) on your weight watchers progress! do you no longer need to go?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote:Hey Anna! jkl reminds me of the Blues Brothers movie (John Belushi or Dan Aykroyd) altho it does look like a secret agent with a hat full of secrets now u mention it!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean! I have neveer seen the Blues Brothers but I know they looked a bit like jkl jkl
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

oooo good luck on the 1st - it's so exciting!!!

Linzy
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Linzy! :)

Thanks for the good luck wishes! I haven't quite got around to introducing myself to you! but i'm sure we can speak soon!

Anna
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hi Anna,

Sorry that I've not been online much this week as I missed your wonderful news! Many congratulations! I hope your first lesson goes really well for you. I really love having a teacher, it's the first time ever that I've really felt motivated to learn 'properly', something I never got on the violin. I'm turning into a real piano anorak at home. I've started on some of the grade 1 theory books now.

I can't wait to hear how you get on. How many lessons have you booked up with for starters? As for the cost with work or no work, music is one of life's essentials so there really isn't any choice!

Love,
Jan
xx
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hi Anna,

Sorry that I've not been online much this week as I missed your wonderful news! Many congratulations! I hope your first lesson goes really well for you. I really love having a teacher, it's the first time ever that I've really felt motivated to learn 'properly', something I never got on the violin. I'm turning into a real piano anorak at home. I've started on some of the grade 1 theory books now.

I can't wait to hear how you get on. How many lessons have you booked up with for starters? As for the cost with work or no work, music is one of life's essentials so there really isn't any choice!

Love,
Jan
xx
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Nutroast wrote:How many lessons have you booked up with for starters? As for the cost with work or no work, music is one of life's essentials so there really isn't any choice!
Hi Jan!

Thats so true what you said there! I'm going to try and have 1 lesson a month but if I get a bit of extra cash ( Christmas is coming! ) I will try to treat meself to one a week until my money runs out and I need to go every month. I'll see how it goes and book the next lesson at the end of my 1st one.

When I get a job I'll definitely go every week...maybe even have two teachers one day on and off. I'm sure its useful to get guidance from more then one teacher.

Theres a male piano teacher quite near me that teaches organ and harpsichord as well as piano so that should be intresting to get lessons from him one day. But HEY it early days!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: they'd much rather be doing something 'exciting' like trying ganja or something

Ha ha ha ! how old do you think these kids are! surely there about 5 or 6 when they start to learn the piano. Mind you, the cocky little 12 and 13 year olds in my area are probably on something more harder then weed; the way they are so aggessive when the speak to eachother :roll: .

I think as an adult learner your more appreciative of taking up a musical instrument, and are more aware of whats going on and have a higher level of concentration. Plus you using YOUR own hard earned cash to pay for it.

I wish I paid more attenion in music lessons at school, I just remember it as being a kind of blur as if I was half asleep, and my teacher positioning my hands on the piano because I didn't have a clue! and I couldn't understand why the keyboards were so light and the pianos were so heavy to play! :roll: :lol: derrrrrrrr! :P I dreaded going up and playing something on the grand piano.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Moonlight remembers her music lessons at school...

Post by Moonlight »

errrrrrm...let me try to remember...

(these are for secondary school by the way)

We had to sing out the name of the teacher for the register instead of just saying 'yes Mr T' ( I won't use his real name on here just in case) while he played a simple kind of cord progession on the piano. One of my friends sang completly out of tune when it was her turn, just to be a smart ar#e, it was amusing however.

Me and my friends used to peeve off the music teacher by playing the demos on the keyboard a lot. :roll: :roll: :roll: ( it seemed fun at the time, but now I would find learning about all the diffrent modes more intresting to be honest )

He moved me to the front to sit because I was talking to them to much. However this was actually less productive for me to learn anything as I was siting near some unpleasant boys that were bullying me, so I was still distracted, only this time I was sad.

My teacher played one of the Starwars pieces of music and no body knew what it was until the main theme came in, except me I had my hand up but the teacher didn't pick me. The other people thought it was Superman. :roll:

We had a group project and me and my friends did an essay on Michael Jackson.

I think I heard pachcelbel's Cannon in D for the 1st time when the teacher played it on the cd player. We needed to learn to play it on the piano, and we also needed to learn ' Groovy kind of love'.

We also had a fun lesson learning the basics of conducting , I found it very fun.

I won't keep you in case you get bored of me yapping away. :P
Droo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: MOONLIGHT HAS GOT A TEACHER!!

Post by Droo »

How did moonlights first lesson end up going? I MUST KNOW!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: MOONLIGHT HAS GOT A TEACHER!!

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Droo,

Thats funny there was a second page to this topic were I did say how my lesson went but its vanished! :shock: :o It went ok, its wasn't my best ever lesson, but i'm more into my lessons now as I'm more used to having them, and have new a teacher. :)