Finger Strengthening

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Finger Strengthening

Post by Geelan »

Any tips/exercises for strengthening the little and ring fingers of both hands?
The weakeness of both are not apparent, to me, in the major and Minor scales but become obvious in the chromatic scale. I tried a simple exercise of placing the fingers of both hands on adjacent white keys. Then, without breaking contact with any of the keys, I played each note up and down. Very soon, the ring fingers in particular, become as if they didn't exist. It takes a conscious effort to call them into action.
Strange???
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Geelan,

Have you heard of Hanon exercises? They are a series of exercises to develop finger strength and finger action. I don't know what beginners books you are using but John's Thomsons Adult Preparatory Piano Book has them in there or you can buy a separate book containing only those exercises its called Hanon preliminary exercises for piano by John Thomson This book might be aimed at kids because its got nice illustrations in them but the exercises are the same as the ones in the adult book only there is more in the separate book.

They have a variety of exercises in them including ones that target the 4th and 5th fingers too.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Just been checking Hannon on Amazon. Great reviews. It looks like a worthwhile resource. I'll be ordering. Many thanks.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

whatever exercise you do to strengthen your fingers, do them very slowly and pianissimo. Don't break contact with the keys and make sure you feel the key coming up as well as down. I have always been taught and have always taught that the key coming up is very important, and you should consider that the key pushes your finger back up, you don't have to pull your finger up, just relax it.

You must be careful of tension otherwise you run the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome which is very painful.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Dave: Thanks for the link. Hannon's been around for a long time. I know that many swear by his exercises - others at them. All the same, history favours him and that's good enough for me.

Joseph: Your advice is much appreciated. The simple exercise I was doing with five adjacent keys was along those lines ie, not breaking contact and playing slowly. Very interesting is the importance you place on the key coming up. I can see how that would add a further level of sensitivity in developing finger control. I'll incorporate it into all further finger exercises.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

joseph wrote:whatever exercise you do to strengthen your fingers, do
You must be careful of tension otherwise you run the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome which is very painful.
What is that? what are the symptoms of it? It would be interesting to know about, if you have any information about it.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave and Geelan, & Joseph ( but he won't need this link! ) :)

Heres a link to 2 Hanon exercises so you can give them ago, there not the ones I do but are quite similar. Unfortunately it doesn't say the best way to play these, I have given them ago by playing these legato, whether its correct is another matter :? .

http://www.free-piano-sheet-music.net/A ... louis.html

Don't worry Dave the weathers rainy down here in Essex, been raining almost all day, but I must say I don't really mind rain unless I need to look neat for something. I like to do my piano pratice when its raining with a nice cup or Earl Grey tea, its really cosy! I wish I could play more dramatic stuff when there is a thunder storm!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I had a look for the symptoms and stuff. Oooh urrrg !

It says it affects women more so then men. Its a nerve problem, and you get burning, tingling sensations in your hand and wrist, and you can't use your hand well eventually.

Horrible! Well anyway I don't have any of that then, puwww!

Does that mean I shoud only do my Hanon exerices slowly then? Because it doesn't say in my books to do them slowly just moderately, and that you should keep the arm, wrist and hand quiet ( still as possible ) when doing them legato.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Moonlight: Great link. The MIDI files are a bonus - they import easily into Cubase 4.

Dave: Have a listen to the MIDI files on Moonlight's link! If I could play them like that I'd give a concert. They are definately moderate, if not faster.

Weather wonderful here, at last! Sunshine and warmth. Beneath the OX mountains here, birds, cattle and sheep are in a frenzy of conversation. They must be rejoicing too.
Going to put on Beethoven's Pastoral, it's just that kind of mood!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

it means that the speed should be the end result :D The amount of pupils that come to school and say to me 'er, mr fleetwood, i haven't managed to play it up to speed yet...' and i never ask for things up to speed until a couple of weeks before their exams, and even then i don't mind if they pick a speed which is seen as 'under tempo', as long as they aim for the sound, the rhythm and above all, love what they play!

When they force the music, and try to play fast when they can't manage, they don't enjoy the playing, but when they work slowly and systematically, they learn faster, enjoy the music more and play better. I love teaching, especially the tiny tots.

I had a new girl start at school on Friday, she is 7 years old. I asked her if she had any brothers or sisters, and she said 'Mr Fleetwood, I don't even get to have a PET FISH!' I just about gutted myself laughing!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I hope you bought her a fish, Joseph!
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Must have made your day, Joseph. One of the beauties of children - no affectation - they just tell it as they see it.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Wow Geelan,

You have Cubase 4 ! do you make music on the computer? and here I am stuck in the dark ages with Cubase 3 :shock:

I'm on here because my piano pratice was cut short by my mum hovering, why are mums like that? :roll:

I didn't even know the link I gave you guys, has midi files! I had a listen to them, I can play them faster then that so; as Joseph says if speed is the end result without strain then I must be doing something right :) .

Just remember, pratice each hand separately and slowly, when you have become familar with it on both hands and have picked up some speed you can then pratice with both hands slowly. Eventually you will be able to do them faster!

I fit in my Hanon pratice with my scale pratice.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Hi moonlight,
I've been with Cubase since version 2 and Wavelab since version 3. Initally, I used both mainly for radio documentaries - Cubase for mixing and Wavelab for mastering. I had occasionally played with MIDI but it's only recently that MIDI technology has become really dependable ie, hardware and software is more compatible. I absolutely love the Ivory piano suite from Synthogy (3 Grand Pianos) and the Bosendorfer Grand from the Vienna Sample Library. Luckily, I can and do build my own computers and sound systems with the result that I have three of the world's greatest pianos available through MIDI control - and they do sound fabulous!
The next goal is to learn to play piano. Now its my turn to say, Wow - you play Hannon faster? That's impressive! I just started this evening. I've noticed how regularly patterened the exercises are and I look forward to the coming week for more practise.
Just one question. I've always noticed, with any new venture, there is a barrier which must be crossed before a level of comfort and confidence is achieved. With the piano, I suspect, that barrier will lie somewhere beyond the scales, arpeggios and broken chords. Perhaps it lies in the mastering of the first moderately technical music piece? I don't know - I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by Geelan on 07 Sep 2008, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

HI Geelan & Dave! :)

Hey, Geelan so you work in radio are you a dj? I started with Cubasis and Wavelab lite, but now have version 3 of them. I used to be really into making dance music on the computer... then it turned into being a bedroom dj and now a bedroom pianist.

Yeah I think I know what you mean about some sort of barrier when it comes to learning the piano. I call it a pain barrier, where you start off really bad and need to pratice tunes that are mundanely simple like 'Mary had a little Lamb' and need to get your fingers used into moving together. Once you have got through those initally off puting barriers it becomes more easer I find, AND more fun.

If you had asked me to play or read music 7 months ago, I wouldn't of known what to do. But even 'hard' looking pieces are becoming more familiar to me, I no longer feel afraid to look at hard music and am using them a sight reading tools so I can improve.

I'm now up to bar 8 on the Moonlight sonata, and am loving every minute of trying to play it!!!! ( even though I might be a bit mad to try now )
I never had a chance on my keyboard!

Hi Dave! :) Yes you are right about that typo on the 2nd Hanon exericise it is indeed a D and not an E. You see these basic Hanon exercises move up in tones and in a set pattern so if you have learned the finger sequence for bars 1 and 2 the rest is the same, however usually when you get all the way to B you need to move back down using annother finger sequence.
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Hey everyone!

I used to love playing Hanon :D For anyone who's not so keen on the length of the Hanon exercises there's another book I'd really recommend. It's called Foundations of Pianoforte Technique by Geoffrey Tankard. This book has a huge section on fingerwork, but it also has exercises on other aspects of piano technique. For the fingerwork exercises, you just play one bar 12 times - 4 times forte and slow, then 4 times mezzo forte and moderate speed, then 4 times piano and fast. There's so many different versions to try that it's hard to get bored of it, I think!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I've ALWAYS found Hanon worthwhile!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Is Hanon something you can start using from the beginning? I saw a Hanon book in the music shop and it all looked a bit complicated....... :roll:

I'm working through 'A Dozen a Day' at the moment, as my teacher swears by them. I actually really enjoy playing them :-D
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

dave brum wrote:
And Sparkley, poor little Sparkley, overworked and underpaid :( :( missing you! When's your next lesson again?
Awww Dave you're so sweet! I missed you all too! I was away at the weekend at my best friend's wedding. It was a lovely day but unfortunately it rained a lot. I did catch the bouquet though!!!!! I really wanted to catch it, and it helps that I'm 5'10" bare feet, so very tall in high heels!! I saw the bouquet coming my way and though 'YES I'm gonna get it!' and I actually jumped up in the air to get it!!! Haha! It was like that episode of the Vicar of Dibley where she pushes people over to get the bouquet!!!

I'm back at work today though and feeling sorry for myself as I'm a bit poorly. I have a nasty cold and am all tired and achy, so I've just been to canteen to get myself chocolate!!!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

dave brum wrote:Yeah I know the one, Abi! Isn't it when Hugo and Alice get married (or is it another two people?) Actually have you seen 'Notting Hill' as the actress who plays Alice is in that as well! I might be a bloke, but I love those sloochy movies like The Holiday and Love Actually, they make me feel so :)
Yeah that's the episode, its brilliant!! I love The Vicar of Dibley!

I love chick flicks as well! Notting Hill was great, as are any of the Hugh Grant typical Brit flicks!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

markymark wrote:I've ALWAYS found Hanon worthwhile!
I just looked up Hanon on a music shop website and am really confused!! There were loooads of books - 200 search results! Is there a basic Hanon book with exercises for beginners that's any good please?
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Abi! :)

If you look at the top of this thread at my reply to Geelan I mention 2 books that are worth getting if your a begginer. I have them and both are good, although I need a teacher to show me the best way to do them in the 2nd book I mention :(.

Some Hanon stuff can look a little hard but its realy just a set patern you follow going up and down the keyboard. Theres another Hanon book I think its called the The Virtuoso pianist by Hanon ( I think ) and that is hard for us begginers, most of the stuff in there is in semiquavers and smaller notes.
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Others may have different views, but the book I consider to be the basic Hanon is called "The Virtuoso Pianist" in 60 Exercises. It's the one with those endless 8 note patterns, repeated a note higher each bar for 2 octaves, then going down again. Wonderful pedantic instructions to read as you play, full of "henceforths" and "render the fingers strong". Ideally I think you should try transposing the exercises into other keys too. (You reach No 39 before you leave C major.)

My edition is Schirmer, but there are others. A bargain too: the price on my copy is 10/6. I suggest that some allowance should be made for inflation in the 40 years since I bought mine.

(For those with no pre-1971 memories, 10/6 is 52.5 pence in "new money".)
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

I managed to pick up a new copy of Hanon's " The Virtuoso Pianist" at the weekend.
Descombes is correct - the full Hanon consists of 60 exercises.
Here are the details for those who might like to order:

Title: Hanon. The Virtuoso Pianist in sixty exercises.
Publisher: G. Schirmer, Inc
ISBN: 0-7935-2544-6
Price: 5 pounds sterling.

The sixty exercises were/are also available in three volomes.
Volume 01 - exercises 1-20 Library Volume 1071
Volume 02 - exercises 21-43 Library volume 1072
Volume 03 - exercises 44-60 Library Volume 1073

It appears there were/are quite a few piano exercises published, based on Hanon's original 60 exercises.

One of these is "Hanon Revisited" by Arthur Gold and Robert Fizdale and based on Hanon's "The Virtuoso Pianist."
It is described as "bringing Hanon up-to-date" as "... the technical demands made on students and pianists have enormously changed and developed."

I have not been able to locate "Hanon Revisited." It may be availabel from the U.S. via Amazon.com.
Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Mark Heller »

Just out of interest, an old piano teacher of mine told me that the reason that it was so difficult to play the 3rd (ring) and 4th fingers independently, was that they shared one tendon - don't know if that's correct, but it certainly explains why it's so hard to separate them! :(

Mark
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

yes that is true, and all the tendons go down one tendon sheath, the carpal tunnel. so really, its not about independence, but awareness. Fingers can't be strong on their own, you must look at the whole of your playing mechanism from the shoulder to the fingertip.
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

It's quite a coincidence, but I've been talking to an aquaintance whose friend is in hospital undergoing an operation - the problem is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Apparently the operation takes an hour and a half and involves an incision from the palm to the wrist.
The operation is taking place on her left hand - the right hand had been operated on last year for the same reason.
The symptoms involve a severe pain running from the little finger across the palm to the thumb.
Interestingly, this person does not play the piano. However, her mother, now deceased, had been a first class piano graduate from the Royal College of Music - had even earned a gold medal.
Obviously, Joseph's warning is worth taking on board.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

sparkley wrote:
markymark wrote:I've ALWAYS found Hanon worthwhile!
I just looked up Hanon on a music shop website and am really confused!! There were loooads of books - 200 search results! Is there a basic Hanon book with exercises for beginners that's any good please?
The one I'm talking about is "The Virtuoso Pianist In 20 Exercises".

Click on this link to get a picture of the book:

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/060256/details.html
cothse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cothse »

Awesome, great info.
Pianos are such dignified instruments - they're either upright or grand!
Piano Lessonswith Master Teachers