Pieces you cannot wait to learn to play!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Pieces you cannot wait to learn to play!

Post by sparkley »

We often discuss our 'dream pieces' so I thought I'd start a separate thread! There is so much lovely piano music out there, so what pieces are your 'dream' pieces to be able to play?

I've always loved Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata and would love to be able to play this. I'd also love to be able to play some of the Joplin Rags, and pretty much anything by Chopin!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Sparkley,

For me, it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (sorry Moonlight, beat you to it!) I've already bought the score for the 1st movement to whet my appetite. I would love to be able to play all of Saint-Sean's Carnival, that would be great.

Not quite what you asked, but when I was little, I wanted to play the theme to "Pot Black" :P That urge has gone away now! I also had a CD of Horowitz, I can't remember what he was playing, but it was an adagio and I used to play air piano to that :oops:

Jan
x
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Guys!

Hope you lot like lists, because heres a list of the stuff I would like to play before I die! ( Not in any particular order )

Beethoven:

Sonata No. 14 in C#m Op. 27 No. 2 ' Moonlight '

Sonata No. 8 in Cm Op. 13 ' Pathetique '

Sonata No. 29 in Bb Op. 106 ' HamerKlavier ' ( I ONLY want to be able to bash out the first few opening bars or the 1st movement not play the whole thing!! :shock: )

Fur Elise

Mozart:

Sonata in A K331 ( Rondo ) Alla Turca: Allegretto ( Turkish March )

Rachmaninov:

Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini Op. 43 Varitation No. 17 or 18? ( the lovely romantic famous one )

Chopin:

Nocturne No. 1 in Bb m Op. 9.

Waltz No. 1 in Eb Op. 18 ' Grande Valse Brillante '

Ballade No. 4 in Fm

Any of his Marurkas and any other stuff really...

S. Joplin

The Entertainer ( because its funny )

MUSIC I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY, BUT WOULD LIKE TO IF I COULD...

Liszt, transcr Horowitz: Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 S244

Elliot Carter: Toccata Catenaires

Beethoven: Piano concerto No. 5

Put that in your pipe and smoke it guys!!! :)
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Clair de Lune by Debussy. I think that's what it's called anyone! The one in the Chanel advert with Nicole Kidman. It's what I'd want played as I walk down the aisle on my wedding day!!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I also recently heard a lovely Bach piece on Radio 3 it was

Bach arr Bussoni Chaconne in Dm

Its started out nice and slow and I thought ' yeah I would like to play that' but then it speeds up! :roll: so i'm not sure If I will be able to learn all of it one day

That Chopin Ballade No 4 in Fm was also on the radio, Its such a nice piece its slow and sad but has elements of a Maruka in it...
I always fall for pieces in a minor key for some reason.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I'm doing the Bach Busoni Chaconne at the moment. Or should i say it's doing me in... :roll:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Gill the Piano wrote:I'm doing the Bach Busoni Chaconne at the moment. Or should i say it's doing me in... :roll:
Wow lucky you I wish I could give it ago, I suppose I will need to wait 10+ to play it...its John Thomson's Adult Prep Book and the grade 1 pieces for me I'm afraid.

Whats the difficult bit, the bit where it gets fast? ( sorry if I sound like a simpleton ) Actually how many movements does it come in?
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Gill the Piano wrote:I'm doing the Bach Busoni Chaconne at the moment. Or should i say it's doing me in... :roll:
Ooooh Gill that's amazing! Keep at it, it'll be worth it!!
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

so many!!! :lol:

my new favourite piece is Prokofiev 'Dance of the Knights'.. so dramatic! I can just about do the first couple of bars.... :shock:

I'd love to be able to play the piano bit from 'clubbed to death' - it's an Elgar take-off.

I could go on... and on.. and on.. :oops: but in reality I'm still pre-grade 1 :P

L
booseph

Post by booseph »

I don't play classical music, so I've nothing as complicated-sounding as everyone else's suggestions!

I'd love to play all the music from "The Producers" (my favourite musical) but they're a bit hard and I have a poor concentration span when it comes to learning new songs. I only know half of "We Can Do It", and I play it really badly!
cothse
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cothse »

PianoAngel wrote:Clair de Lune by Debussy. I think that's what it's called anyone! The one in the Chanel advert with Nicole Kidman. It's what I'd want played as I walk down the aisle on my wedding day!!
That's wonderful. Pachelbel's Canon in D has been done to insanity, but the Claire de Lune I can only remember one instance of it in a wedding, which was on an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond :D It was very nice. Hurry up and get married while it's still fresh! lol

Chopin's Ballade #1
Pianos are such dignified instruments - they're either upright or grand!
Piano Lessonswith Master Teachers