Hello, can I join you?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Hello, can I join you?

Post by Nutroast »

Well, I'm furnished with my wonderful piano and have been practicing whenever I can. I'll be starting my weekly lessons in two weeks from now and look forward to asking you lots of stupid questions!

Jan
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Dave, many thanks for the warm welcome! I've never had lessons before, I had one when I was about 10 and my parents probably just thought I'd teach myself as I play many instruments at the time, but it never made sense to me and I lost interest. Now, I'm 42 and much keener!

I look forward to sharing my failures and triumphs with you.

Jan
xx
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Hello there Nutroast :-)

Welcome to the piano forum, of course you may join us! Well done on making your first step to becoming a pianist! As Dave says, feel free to ask any questions or join in with our chit chat!

I'm 23 so not a very late starter to the piano, but like you, I had one or two lessons when younger, but as I already played the clarinet and saxophone, there just wasn't time to fit the piano in! But now that I'm a little bit older I decided to take it up, as its an instrument I've always wanted to play.

What's your lovely new piano like? Have you had much of a play on it yet?
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello again and thanks for the welcome!

Dave, that's a good idea about the library, it would be interesting to know a bit more about what goes on in there. As for me, I am a long-standing vegetarian but am actually not a regular consumer of nutroast, it just seems to describe me rather well!

Sparkley, I played the violin, but after some years I had wrist problems which stopped me. I wish now I'd gone on to cello instead. Having said that, I'm a very slow reader of music on both treble and bass clef so needs lots of practice. My piano is a 1980's Marshall and Rose; very pretty and sounds good too. I manage to get in about 30 mins to an hour practice a day at the moment. I do so wish I'd had proper piano lessons when I was little. At least I wouldn't have had to carry it to school under my arm!

Jan
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi guys , Hi Nutroast! (like the name) :)

Mind if I join in this little meeting?

Wellcome Nutroast to the uk piano fourm, and yes feel free to butt into any of our silly natterings if you want.

I have been teaching myself the piano about 6 months, can't afford lessons at present. I wanted to learn the piano at 17 and started to teach myself but forgot about wanting to learn it when I went to university. I'm now 23 ( we're both 80s girls Sparkley!!) and am very keen to learn this wonderful musical instrument.

If I can ever learn to play a lovely Chopin nocturne (esp, Nocturne No 1 in Bb minor Op 9) I will be a very very happy girl :) !!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Nutroast wrote:I do so wish I'd had proper piano lessons when I was little. At least I wouldn't have had to carry it to school under my arm!

Jan
Ah I remember the days of lugging my saxophone to school!! I knew a girl who played the double bass and it was always amusing watching her trying to manouvre it :lol:

Aww Moonlight we're the same age!! Hehe, we're children of the 80's :-D Chopin is my aim as well. My teacher asked me who my favourite composer was and I said 'Chopin'. She said there may be some simple pieces by Chopin I'd be able to play soon, yay :-)
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Children of the 80s??? Now, I feel REALLY old!!

Moonlight, I've found a piano teacher that charges £10.50 per half hour, it is cheaper than most and is probably all I can handle in a week on top of practice. So, I'm pretty pleased. I try and remind myself that it's only the cost of 3 beers. Mmmm beeerrr. With a name like Moonlight, I'd at least expect Beethoven on your wish-list! That's definitely one of mine and I've already bought the score for the 1st movement to salivate over.

Dave, I know what you mean about things getting jumbled, I have a great deal of trouble concentrating on things ever since my child was born (she grabbed my brains on the way into the world). And I've since discovered that I can bearly even find the keyboard after even the teensiest glass of wine. Such a shame, evenings without Chablis, no-one ever told me the terrible sacrifices I'd have to make to learn the piano!

Sparkley, I remember a double-bass player at school too :D Why did it always seem to be the smallest elfin little girls that wanted to take it up? Thank goodness the school didn't have revolving doors else she'd never had made it to class.

Thank you all again for the wonderful warm welcome.

Jan
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Oh No Poor Dave! :(

Hope he will be back soon...
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Nutroast wrote: With a name like Moonlight, I'd at least expect Beethoven on your wish-list!
Absolutely! Beethoven is my favorite composer then Bach and I think Chopin has stollen the place of Mozart for my top 3 composers. In case no one guessed my username is named after the Moonlight sonata ( one of my favorite piano sonatas that! )

Yes the Moonlight sonata is definitely on my wish list of things to play.I got the whole sonata for 2.50 even the scary looking last movement.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

sparkley wrote:My teacher asked me who my favourite composer was and I said 'Chopin'. She said there may be some simple pieces by Chopin I'd be able to play soon, yay :-)
Ooooooh Sparkley :) Do you think when you get round to learing some simple Chopin pieces you could tell me what ones they are and the book you are using for them. I would really like to have a go at some simple Chopin stuff, just not sure what books to get :? .
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Nice to see you back onboard!! It's been quiet around here without you!! :P :lol: :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

No, it can happen that way; it's like when you can't do a crossword clue and throw it down in disgust. Next morning, you pick the paper up and the answer pops up at you! Let your brain relax a bit! :D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

dave brum wrote: STOLLEN! Don't remind me of Christmas, it's only 31st August!!!
Sorry, I meant STOLEN I didn't mean to remind you of German Christmas cakes Dave! :lol:

I suppose Mozart's place was STOLLEN as he was Austrian and they eat that there too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Welcome back Dave Brum! I'm glad your pc has had its valves restrung. What is is about these inanimate objects that gives them the ability to give us such a hard time?

I've had a Bad Practice Weekend, not helped by a 3-year-old wanting to 'help' me play. She did sing along when I played Baa-baa black sheep for her though - sweeeet!

I have made lots of progress with my music reading and will be able to have an hour of practice during my lunch break today without my little assistant ;-)

Talking of Christmas (sorry), reminds me that the only evidence of Christmas at my parents' house is that their little bust of Beethoven suddenly sports a bow tie :D

Jan
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Yay Dave's back!!! How is the shiny new computer? I have Vista and it took me a little while to get used to it as well :-)

I'm very excited about Christmas :-D Imagine playing Christmas Carols on our pianos!!

Anna, when I get to the Chopin stuff I'll let you know what it is! It won't be for a little while yet, but I'm very excited!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave , Sparkley & Nutroast (mmmm Dry Roasted Peanuts; the name nutroast always reminds me of them)

Thanks Sparkley about the Chopin pieces...can't wait to find out what they are and give them a go!

Hi Dave glad to hear you found a good computer, and at such short notice.

I don't use the organ voice on my clav, the one on my Casio keyboard sounded better! (to me) I did to like to try and play the opening bars of Bach's Toccata and Fugue on it. I do quite like the Harpsichord voice on the clav though ( it sounds quite comical when I try and play Pachabel's Canon using it).

As for Christmas songs I have 'Silent Night' in my Jonh Thomson book I'm going through. By the time I reach it, it might well be Christmas then. If not I will learn it just for the festivness of it. :)

Another thing I might do for Christmas is make a Christmas hat for my tiny bust of Beethoven!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

I'd prefer to make you think of roasting chestnuts rather than a male ailment :D

My lesson is a 5pm on the 11th. Please send me "don't play like a dead slug" vibes for then please!!

Jan
x
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Talking about Christmas reminded me. Do you Anna, Sparkley and poss Geelan ever use the organ setting, or any voice besides grand piano on your Clavs (know you can't Nutty!) I never bother myself, probs because I'm learning to play the piano and not anything else!
[/quote]

I've been experimenting with Steinberg's HALion Symphonic Orchestra. It's constantly amazes me how powerful MIDI features are. From my Yamaha keyboard I can play any orchestral instrument - if I knew how to play, that is, to the point of creating an orchestral arrangement. Just amazing!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Geelan wrote:
From my Yamaha keyboard I can play any orchestral instrument
Doesn't your bow get stuck in the pedals?

Dave, my teacher, hmm, she's old-school, not a problem for me as I'm an old-fashioned sort myself. She's my favourite auntie I recon, but with hair that could stand a force 4. She looks so neat and tidy. Even in my best clobber, I look like I've just put the chooks to bed, via the tumble drier. I think she has a sense of humour, she'll need it!

Jan
Geelan
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Geelan »

Doesn't your bow get stuck in the pedals?
Hah! That explains the marks on the carpet!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

dave brum wrote:
Missing you Sparkley...don't work too hard, duckies!
Aww thank you Dave :-) You can use my real name on here if you like :-D I'm working fairly hard and got a few busy weeks coming up! I'm taking a quick break to catch up with all my lovely piano friends though :-)

I use the other voices on my clavinova occasionally. I love the organ one, and sometimes I just listen to the organ demo! Anna, I've never thought of playing Pachabel's Canon on the harpsichord but I'm gonna have to try that now!! I usually just use the grand piano setting.

Dave and Anna, have you used the demo songs much? The book that came with the clavinova has some great piano music in it, but its all a bit too difficult at the moment for me! I tried to use the recording function as well the other day, but I just got annoyed as I kept making mistakes and having to start again!!

Jan, I shall be thinking of you for your first lesson! You'll love it :-)
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

hello all, can I join you?! I'm being sucked in by the talk of Christmas!!! :lol:

One of the first music books I bought when I got my baby (my piano) was a load of Christmas songs.. am gradually working my way through them, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them :P although I have to say I'm better at the carols than the pop songs - can't even attempt 'war is over' yet :oops:

L
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Hello Louttrim *waves*

I'm already murdering My First Book of Christmas Songs and am really enjoying myself. I had a bad day yesterday, I got paged for work at 2am and hardly got of the phone for the rest of the day, so no practice at all. All work and no piano tinkling makes for a grumpy Mrs T.

Strange how playing has already become my comforter!

Jan
x
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

hello Jan *waves back!*

I know exactly what you mean - if I don't get at least some piano time I get very grumpy too! Luckily my little one started school yesterday (hurrah!!) so now I get a good bit of time.. if I neglect the housework.. no choice really!!

Linzy
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Well, our house is spotless. That's because you can't see the spots any more through all that dust. I'm going to take a lunch break now and join you on the stool Linzy. Have a good one.

Carol Barratt, here I come.

Jan
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Hey everyone!

Dave, you could always use the piano as a reward to get stuff done. That's what I do! I really love making lesson plans for my students, so when I have something really yucky to do (washing dishes, laundry) I do a bit of what I have to do and then reward myself by making the next lesson plan. I know it probably sounds a bit odd that I like it so much, but I love reflecting on how each student is progressing, and how I can help them next. Maybe a bit of room tidying could be rewarded with 15 mins of Tyrannosaurus Rex!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

OK, I'm going to own up here.... I don't know what this T-Rex stuff is. Please can someome enlighten me?

I'm obviously missing out!

Jan
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Thanks Dave! I'll have to look out for that.

As me me, no, I'm nothing so worthwhile or exciting. I'm an IT manager and I get paged if one of our sites falls over. I would have loved to be a vet, but was so bad at exams I wanted out of education as soon as I'd done my o'levels. It would be great if our daughter becomes a vet though. With 3 cats all due their jabs soon and an increasing number of chickens, she's save us a fortune! Poor kid's only 3 and I've got her a job already.

Jan
x
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Ah, the cat-vomit on the mat trick eh? Yes, I still remember when my darling late cat Charlie had pee'd in the toaster. We didn't find out until the next morning when my DH (now xDH, but no connection here) made brekkie. Cooked kitty pee; the smell was just indescribable.

Is Fiona your piano (sorry if I've just made a major gaff). Mine's Rosie.

You're right about the eggs, we plan to become more and more self-sufficient as time goes by, food, power, water, the lot. The Good Life - I've even got the dungarees :wink:

Jan
x
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave, Hi everyone else! :)

Dave, if youre having trouble with the cat hair try using something made of rubber ( like a clean flip-flop with a rubber sole ) to 'brush' the carpet. All the hairs will just clump together then you can hover it up :) It is hard work though . But It does work! because hovering doent work very well to remove Colin's ( my cat ) hairs!

I must say I'm really happy hes stoped puking his dinners up, and I don't have trouble with fur balls, which is just as well because he is a house cat.

Wow Jan!,

I have never heard of a cat peeing in a toaster! (uuurrgg! :o ) :lol: Then again cats are weird! Thats so nice you own chickens! If we had them I'm sure it would put me off eating them for life. We tried our hand at owning quails but the foxes ate them :roll: So we just feed them instead now! ( they make intresting 'pets' )
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

This has now turned into the UK Piano and Pet Problem Page! :lol:
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

I'm so jealous of you all with all your cats!! My boyfriend's parents have 6 cats, and I love them so, so much. There's nothing more relaxing than sitting with a gorgeous cat in your lap, stroking it as it purrs! Unfortunately, we just rent and our lease says no pets :cry:
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Lol Dave, what is it with cats sitting on the toilet!!! Loads of them do it!!

As for cat wee in the toaster...eewwww!!! I love cats, but I'm more of a dog person and have a lovely little hound called Jessie :-) She always wants to sit on my lap when I'm playing the piano and I feel soooo guilty for telling her 'no'!!

Most landlords say 'no pets' but that's often just to cover themselves so you don't bring 3 rottweilers with you!!! Sometimes if you speak to the landlord they will let you have a cat. My friend rents nad has always had a cat - she just speaks to the landlord about it, explains that her cat won't scratch the furniture, and has an extra line added into her contract agreeing that she will have the carpets professionally cleaned when she moves out.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave & Sparkley

Awww what breed of dog do you have Abi? I'm guessing a small dog if she sits on your lap. We have a dog ( hes my mum's) hes a Border Terrier his name is Gravy. He likes to howl at the phone going off and the sound of harmonicas, squeaky toys ( his 'musical instrument' ), but has no reaction to my piano, oh well.

I'm not really a dog or cat person, both are cool; I just love to have pets!

Hi Dave,

Does your cat use the toilet like a litter tray? If so thats cool, my cat doesn't. Anyway how is your piano pratice going? mastered Mozart yet?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Rubber gloves are excellent for removal of cat fur.
As for the toaster scenario...the only communication , verbal or non-verbal, that my friend had with her tactiturn next-door neighbour was a note dropped through her letterbox saying 'Yor cat just p*ssed up my toster.'[sic]
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Moonlight wrote:Hi Dave & Sparkley

Awww what breed of dog do you have Abi? I'm guessing a small dog if she sits on your lap. We have a dog ( hes my mum's) hes a Border Terrier his name is Gravy. He likes to howl at the phone going off and the sound of harmonicas, squeaky toys ( his 'musical instrument' ), but has no reaction to my piano, oh well.
My dog's a good old mongrel, but her Mum was a Jack Russel, so she looks a bit like a Jack Russel. Your dog sounds so sweet!! Jessie loves squeaky toys too, but also loves soft toys as she can rip them apart and then pull all the stuffing out!!
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

This is Jessie!

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Awwwwwww So cute!!!!! :D I love Jack Russel style dogs. I wouldn't mind to put a pic of mine on here but I don't have a link to a photo of him.
louttrim
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by louttrim »

hello all

we have 2 dogs.. they come into the sitting room (we've moved Baby - the piano - from the hall, Dave!) when I'm practising and curl up on my feet. They're big dogs too! Luckily no howling!! The only one doing the howling is me, when I make silly mistakes.. :lol:

Lx
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

I'd love a doggie. We've promised ourselves one once we've moved (if that ever happens). We want a little scruff-bag. My cats show no interest in the piano, but our neighbour's cat loves it and knocked the tuner's tuning fork off the top and chased it across the room. Luckily, he likes cats himsef!

Jan
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Dave,

The white one is a star, she was Miss November in last year's Cat's Protection calendar! We bought lots of copies ;-)

Jan
x