The wisdom of Horowitz

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

The wisdom of Horowitz

Post by Descombes »

I've just bought a CD of the last concert given by Horowitz, described in the CD notes as " this most celebrated pianist of the 20th century". I could not disagree with that!

What really drew my attention was a quotation from him which sums up what playing the piano is all about:

"The most important thing is to transform the piano from a percussive instrument into a singing instrument...a singing tone is made up of shadows and colors and contrast. The secret lies mainly in contrasts."

Isn't that wonderful?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What an excellent quote. I think every pianist should have it in a frame above the piano. There are a lot of professional pianists who would do well to consider those words...:)
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

Two more quotes from the CD cover:

"Horowitz can make the piano sing as no other pianist can." (Suddeutsche Zeitung) - on a sticker on the cover.

"Horowitz had the magic, and that cannot be learned." (Harold C Schonberg, Horowitz's biographer) - on the inner sleeve.

I never saw him in a live performance, but I do remember watching his Festival Hall Recital on television in 1982 and the Recital from Moscow around the same time. He was one of those pianists who are fascinating to watch, as well as to listen to.
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

If you can, listen to him on the cd of Scarlatti sonatas. Pure magic. As a former harpsichordist (now back to the piano) and a purist at that, his playing makes the music sound as if it were written for the concert grand. Totally convincing, every note in place, the subtlest of light and shade and yes, the piano sings.