2009 Grade 1 pieces

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Did you get the CDs to hear the pieces or are you sight-reading through them?
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Dave, that signature is starting to freak me out! :lol:

Besides, the good witch couldn't risk letting that much perfection loose (with great hands of course!) on the real world! :lol:
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

dave brum wrote:I'm trying to sight read them as best as I can as I can't afford the CDs. When I got this years pieces however abt 8 months ago I had to use Youtube to get some idea of how the pieces should be played.
If I was Dictator of the World, I would ban CDs of exam pieces. I am sure that, in an ideal world, the Ass Board would not sell them, but they know that someone else would if they did not do so themselves. And, as we all know, the Ass Board never passes by an opportunity to make money.

Can I urge everyone to boycott CDs of exam pieces? No examiner in his/her right mind wants to hear endless identical performances. Music is there to be read and interpreted - not copied from a CD.

Sorry about the rant, but this is really one of my pet hates!!!

As for Youtube, I did not realise that performances were there. Who was playing? Someone worthy of imitation or some unscrupulous nonentity? It's been said before, but you can't believe anything you read on the internet, unless you know it comes from a reputable source. This applies even more so to musical performances! So please, dave brum, rely on your instincts or any guidance your teacher might give!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I don't encourage copying either, but, if they are used sensibly, they can be useful. Using them to give students a basic idea of what the piece sounds like is definitely a good idea. My music teacher used to give me the lend of the CD to help me think about which pieces I would like to encounter prior to our first lesson in preparation for the grade.

I know that Trinity College make it very clear to people using the CD that the performer is not producing a prescribed performance and should not copy from this performance. I know that examiners are looking out for this as well.

Besides, in preparation for performance diplomas and organising programmes, guidelines provided by boards encourage you to listen to other performances of the pieces - that is another musical skill. Moreover, if a music teacher is committed to developing the whole pupil within a musical context, it would be beneficial then to provide opportunities for pupils to listen to more than one version of the piece to illustrate the importance of interpretation as they follow the music in front of them.

Speaking as a classroom teacher, children are not taught nor do they learn with blinkers on, in isolation from other learners. In the same way, we are not going to develop good musical performers, by keeping other performers and their performances at arm's length.

While I agree that copying the performance, bar-for-bar on the CD is largely pointless, boycotting CDs, to me, sounds extreme.
Last edited by markymark on 15 Aug 2008, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dave, if you reallyreallyreally want to hear the exam pieces, your library should be able to order them for you.
Sorry, Descombes!
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

markymark wrote: While I agree that copying the performance, bar-for-bar on the CD is largely pointless, boycotting CDs, to me, sounds extreme.
I've nothing against CDs; just CDs whose sole purpose is to play exam pieces. If you're learning a Beethoven Sonata for an exam, listen to various CDs to see how great players of the past and present would interpret it. But listening to the entire set of pieces for a lower or middle grade seems to be cutting out a major step in the educational process.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

dave brum wrote:You're the musical Oscar Wilde, Marky!
Well I could take that as a compliment if I just highlight one big difference - I like to kiss women.... :wink:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I bought the 09 exam pieces recently but without the CDs because 1: I didn't want to spend too much on them and 2: I think they are rather unnecessary when you can read through them instead. I kind of agree with Descombes on this one, I think Its a bit like cheating, especially if its for a low grade test.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:I kind of agree with Descombes on this one...
That's absolutely fine, Moonlight! Go and agree with Descombes! See if we care! :wink:
dave brum wrote: Although I don't think the CDs are necessary for the higher grades, poss past G3 or 4 as students would be proficient in sight reading at that stage anyway.
You might be surprised how many aren't! Speaking from personal experience, there are a lot of teachers who can't or don't teach sight-reading techniques to their pupils. Looking around musicians I've worked with or know, the average pianist can not sight-read well and sometimes not at all, even though they are sitting with a Grade 5 music certificate or higher!

My argument kicks in here because if someone has just passed a Grade 3 exam, how are they supposed to sight-read a Grade 4 performance piece in such a away that they get a feel for the piece and have a good grasp as to how it is supposed to sound? Short answer - they can't! But by hearing the piece, it could give some confidence to the pupils as they start to see how the written and okayed music relate. I would agree that in the early years (from Grades 1-3), CDs could create over-dependency from insecure players at a time when pupils are developing technique and basic understanding. Still, even at that stage, I still think it's nice for the pupils to hear how the piece should sound once or twice early into the preparation of the piece. Again, it comes back to what I said earlier about "being used sensibly", e.g. teacher control. I think the CD should only be a brief reference to aid the learning process.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Well the problem is that the performance pieces are not written for sight-reading purposes. Yes, sight-reading will feature as part of the skill and the better you are at sight-reading, the faster you will be able to attack the piece of music. On the other hand, poor sight-readers have to slog their way through the piece, bar by bar and sometimes, hand-by-hand! At the exam, the examiner won't know how much effort has been put into the preparation or how much of a struggle it was to get their. They only assess the end product!

Sight-reading sections are less dense in terms of notation and lend themselves to note-scanning. The standard is high but given the very short amount of time they give you to look at the piece, they can't expect you to play something too "messy". Even at LRSM diploma standard, they expect you to sight-read Grade 7 performance level music, but yet doctored slightly to "lend itself to a sight-reading test".
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Dave, I thought the exact same thing as you when I saw the piece 'Early One Morning'!!! I was browsing through the book in the music shop, saw the title and thought 'no it can't be' and then laughed out loud in the middle of the shop!! It was the episode where he was auditioning to be a holiday redcoat or entertainer or something I think!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Ok marky, no need to get all agitato :wink:...

What I meant was, it would be better for lower grade students to nurture their ability to sight read; by trying to figure out how to play the piece on their own first then when they have learnt it have a listen to see how they got on. If they were really struggling, their teacher could tell them its not sounding right and then as a last resort use the CD as a learning aid.

Its just the temptation to hear the piece first without trying it out on their own, might make some students lazy when it comes to reading.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Moonlight wrote:What I meant was, it would be better for lower grade students to nurture their ability to sight read; by trying to figure out how to play the piece on their own first then when they have learnt it have a listen to see how they got on.
Well that's what I'm saying too but to "boycott" the CDs as Descombes was suggesting sounds extreme. I think the CDs have a valid use, if needed.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dave, if you request the CD, the library has to find it for you, even if they transfer it from another library.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Oh no, to boycott would be rather extreme of course! But the CDs still remind me of cheating ( a bit ).

I'm sure i might need to use the CDs oneday? :mrgreen:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi everyone!

I just learned my first piece for section A of the grade 1 exam, Vivaldi's L'autunno (it was really fun to play :) ).

I would like to learn the next piece for section B and I have chosen Gedike's Kummer but am a little stuck as it has a symbol I don't understand in it. Its a dashed diagonal line linking the notes ( D, crotchet, in the top treble stave_bar17 ) and ( D, a double quaver in the bottom treble stave_ bar 18 ). What is it called and what does it want me to do?

Please help as I can't afford the luxury of having my own piano teacher at the moment. :( :(
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Is it the same D; in other words, is it D above middle C in both cases? It might just be pointing that out. The fact that it's dotted implies that it's editorial - the editor has imposed it, not the composer and as such you don't HAVE to take any notice of it! I haven't got a copy of the music, so I'm talking out of my hat (as per usual) but I'm sure someone will be able to help later on.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Gill,

Yes I think it is the same D, well, both staves are treble clef staves anyway and both notes are the D above middle C if you like. So does that line mean that the Ds it is pointing to are actually the same note? in one stave or does it mean play both Ds an octave apart? I'm geting even more confused just thinking about it in too much detail :? .

Its Ok if this is too confusing because you can't see the music. I'm sure there might me someone who has seen the piece who might be able
to help.

Thanks for helping :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave,

Yes that Vivaldi tune is really fun and bouncy and really nice to play, although I find bar 9 a bit difficult as my hand needs to stretch an 8th
and I sometimes miss the F and play E accidentally grrrr! :evil: .

I find that if you pretend your a posh toff ridding on a horse you can actually play it much better :lol: as that piece is about hunting or something like it.

What ones are you learning for the 09 exams? I would like to do ' Never vex a Tyrannosaus Rex' for the last one. Its got quite a lot of accidentals in it so it should be fun!
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

the funny dotted line in Kummer

Post by PianoAngel »

Hi Moonlight,

this is my 1st time posting on here, so I hope it's all ok and ends up in the right place!

I'm going to try to explain the dotted diagonal line in bars 17-18 of Gedike's Kummer. If I don't make it clear enough, please let me know and I'll try again!

The line is telling you that the notes belong to the same 'voice'. If you look at bar 17, try to imagine that there are 4 voices singing at once, or four instruments playing at once. For the sake of illustrating it, imagine 2 violins, a viola and a cello.

From bars 17-18:
The 1st violin plays: A(crotchet) A(crotchet) A(minim)
The 2nd violin plays: nothing(crotchet) G#(crotchet) E(minim)
The viola plays: E(crotchet) D(crotchet) D(quaver) B(quaver) C#(crotchet)
The cello plays: C(quaver) D(quaver) B(crotchet) A(minim)

So the viola's line moves between the top stave and the bottom stave. When you're playing the viola's notes, try to think of them as one phrase even though it moves between staves. That's what the dotted line is telling you.

Also, I should explain, the 2nd violin has nothing to start with because there are only 3 notes at the beginning of bar 17, not 4.

Does this make any sense at all?? :? I don't seem to be very good at explaining it without having my piano to illustrate!!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

hey Dave

Its quite an addictive tune init? My hands arent that big, smallish I would say. I can stretch an octave with fingers 1 - 5 just I need to move to the edge of the (white) keys for that, looks kind of awkward when I do it.

Yes size Isn't too important, some kids are really good at the piano and they have tiny hands! And the master Beethoven himself had rather sort stubby hands ( I read ) and he was one of the best pianists and a great improviser of his time.

I dont need to look down too much once I have learned a piece my hands just seem to know where to go. I do have a very quick glance just to make sure they are heading in the right place if I need to jump from one octave to another etc I'm sure thats allowed.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Piano Angel,

I think I might be getting it (?) , Is the line saying the Ds are the same note or same Key on the keyboard or are they two seprate Ds an octave apart. Has this got something to do with the way the music looks when printed because there is no room in the bar to fit all the notes maybe?

Because if it is the same D I can't see how you can play the same note as a crotchet and then as a quaver becasue the crotchet has not finished playing.

Is it saying the D in bar 18 is the same note you used in bar 17 maybe?

I'm really sorry if I'm confusing you with my limited knowledge on reading music.
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Hi Moonlight,

You're not confusing at all... the music is!!!

The dotted line is only referring to the phrasing of the music - the musical shape - not the actual pitch of the notes.

But the D at the end of bar 17 is indeed exactly the same D as the D at the start of bar 18 - they're both the one just above middle C.

The D(crotchet) lasts as long as the 2nd beat of bar 17, and the D(quaver) starts from the 1st beat of bar 18. The only reason the 2nd D is written on the lower stave is to tell you to use your Left Hand instead of the Right. This is because it's a Grade 1 piece, and so you shouldn't have to play 3 notes doing separate things in the one hand - very confusing until you get used to it!

So if you're counting 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 + all the way through the piece:
as you count "2" in bar 17 you play D(crotchet) with the Right Hand,
then as you count "1" at the start of bar 18 you play the same D, but this time with the Left Hand (and this time it's a quaver, not a crotchet)

Does this help any?? If not we're try again until we get there 8)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi PianoAngel! :)

Ah ha! I think I got it! I haven't played that bit yet, but your explantion makes sense while I read the music.

Sorry one more question! does the word sost. mean sostenuto? Do I treat the notes in that bar in the same way I would treat a note with the sotenuto line above it. i.e hold it down a bit longer 'with singing quality'.

Thanks so much you are an angel! :) :)
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave how are you?,

I find that if I'm having trouble with a particular bar like what you said about the Vivaldi piece, I 'loop' the bar by playing that bar over and over again to drum the correct way to play it in my head, I'm not sure if thats a good way to learn music but it works for me :shock: .

Really Chopin had small hands? I guess he was a bit of a small looking man, Rachmaninov had massive hands that could streach a 10th! I read somewhere.

I really like this quote from Chopin I got from a book on composers I think it sums up beginners like my self, only Chopin wasn't talking about beginners he was observing how a bunch of scottish women aristocrats were playing the piano and I'm sure they weren't beginners:

'They all look down at the keyboard while playing, and play the wrong notes with feeling.'
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Thats a great quote by Chopin! I often look down at the keyboard whilst playing.......... :roll:

My piano teacher told me that Chopin had small hands, apparently that's why he was very strict about using the exact fingers he specifies when playing his music.

Moonlight, have you got the strange symbol figured out now? Sounds a bit complicated for Grade 1....!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dave, the terminology's only arcane because it's old...if it were Charleston instead of Gavotte, it's still a sort of dance, innit? One day, they're going to say that about pogoing, acid, garage, house, rap (with a silent c)...
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Hey Moonlight,

I can't believe how much tough stuff this Grade 1 piece has got in it!! I hadn't even noticed!

Yeah, the sost. is short for sostenuto. It just really means sustained - so make sure you hold on all the notes for absolutely their full value. Yeah, definitely imagine it has the little tenuto lines on it - that should really help.

And thanks for the welcome, Dave :D :D :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Dave: I was taking down some notes from a geek in the record shop (How OLD am I???) about cover versions of Queen songs for a uni dissertation. James told me that someone had done a rap version of one track. He craned his neck and peered at what I'd just written. "There's no 'W' on rap, you silly cow...' :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Ah, well this was 'modern' stuff; 45s I can cope with! I have a Sweet 45 signed by Brian Connolly...sigh.... :D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Queen songs. Freddie Mercury, crap technique on the piano but what a voice, what a songwriter, what a performer!

<has a minutes silence>
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave,

I think I stared to get into classical when I was about 15 or 16??? I never listened to it before, my dad used to listen to it, and I would say 'whats that piece?' and thats as far as it went. I never thought it was 'uncool' though.

When I was in my teens I was into (I still like it now!) House, Trance, Progressive, Deep House, Drum+Bass, Chillout, Hard House, Old Skool, etc. Actually before I got in to wanting to learn the piano at 17, I owned a set of Gemini Decks and a Numark mixer! I was really into making dance music on the computer then. I was a bit of bedroom DJ, now I'm a bedroom pianist ( or would like to be able to call myself a pianist oneday :roll: ) Just as soon as I get a teacher!!

I think because trance music is melodic sounding dance music and there was are really cool trance version of Barbers Adagio at the time, that might of got me into classical. Plus I found out the name of the Beethovens Moonlight sonata then, with a free classical cd with a newpaper. And listened to other stuff on it and I thought this music is even better! and so natrally I wanted to take up a proper musical instrument and do away with da decks!

Of course you dont need to know anything about a piece of classical music to enjoy it, the music will do the work! But its really nice when you do find out more about a piece.

I do know what you mean about it being elitist, I was watching the Proms and they were really talking, well (crap, to me) using words like cadenza and what on earth is a fugue? scherzo etc etc??? What are they on about? Bah bah bah bah bah! :P just get on to the music!

See Dave thats why I need a teacher, so I can ask all these questions. I really hope when I can finally afford one they can keep up with my enthusiasm and I don't scare them away! I would ask more questions then a four year old on speed! :shock: whats that mean???
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Moonlight; it's the difference between going to a football match and then listening to the pundits flannelling on about 4-4-2 formations...you don't need to know all that to enjoy a game of football, but there are people who believe talking about it is more important than playing. Ditto music. You'll absorb an awful lot of information by osmosis, without realising you're learning. It's only when someone asks you something and you answer correctly that you realise what you've achieved.
Someone once said that a musicologist is someone who can read music but can't hear it...:) Don't let jargon get you down!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Sparkly, Hi PianoAngel :) :)

Yes I think I might have that symbol sorted out now...I hope! Maby I should get the CD?? to have a listen? :mrgreen:
Really is the piece hard? for grade 1?. Well I wanted to set myself a challenge instead of going for the pices with nice long minims them. That way I will feel like I have earned my grade 1, when I finally sit the exam.
Last edited by Moonlight on 21 Aug 2008, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Gill :) ,

No all that jargon in learning music etc doesn't get me down, I find It intresting once I find out what it means. I was just agreeing with Dave about all that jargon and how it might seem elitist or posh or whatever; especially as an adult learner your more aware of all these foreign words as you're not bought up learning them from the outset.
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Hi all :-)

Dave that's so typical of cats!!! They always sit in the most inconvienient of places......its like they know!!!

Dave your teacher would be so impressed if you could play all 9 pieces!! I haven't got the book as my teacher thinks I might be able to skip a few grades. I've only been learning a couple of months, but as I already have grade 8 clarinet and know all my theory and stuff I seem to be picking up piano really quickly which is cool :-) My teacher isn't that bothered about me doing exams, but I think I'd like to do them as its something to work towards, and means you have something to show for what you've achieved. Also I just like getting a pretty certificate :lol: :lol: !!!!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hello, you lot! I got a squint at the Grade One pieces today. wow! What a turnaround!!! Grade 2's got an ERIC CLAPTON piece in it!!!
Anyway, yes, that dotted line is just bringing to your attention the fact that those 2 Ds are in fact the same note at the same pitch. It's difficult when both hands are playing in the same clef, innit?
Keep on keeping on!
Dave; you sure your feline doesn't like Catchachurian? :P
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Lol I laughed when I saw Eric Clapton on ABRSM syllabus too!!

My lesson was good thanks Dave :-) Teach was impressed with my progress which was lovely to hear! I have a couple of new pieces to learn now which are really cool.

Dave, you do cooking, cleaning - you sound like a real Domestic God(dess)!!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Guys!!
sparkley wrote:Dave that's so typical of cats!!! They always sit in the most inconvienient of places......its like they know!!!
Yeah I know what you mean!! I was trying to read Pianist Magazine
( gosh, I'm becoming a reall piano geek now! ) the other day and my cat went and sat on the pages! and then he goes and climbs on my Clav and scratched the dust cover, I was a little upset about the tiny sratch on it.

Have any of you piano newbies ( Dave, Sparkley ) bought that mag yet? its the first time I got it, its pretty good actually. Its got sheet music and a cd for beginners in it too . I only bought it to drool over the Steinways etc.

I have almost finished learning that Kummer tune, took so long as I'm not used to playing several notes with both hands that are different time values. Its also the dissonaces in the piece ( in the LH ) that are off puting as its not a predicable sounding tune. I'm starting to like it though it does sound really dismal and bleak, well it is called Grief.

I tried out bars of the 'Never Vex a T-Rex' it seems really fun. The last bar is fun, as it decends cromatically from B to B; and the end bit is a sound like a roar!

Also ( so funny ) my mum bought me a tiny bust of Beethoven! from a charity shop. He now sits on my piano, so he can tell me off when I miss out the expression marks! Just had to tell you guys about that... haha :shock:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Come on, boy, crack down to a bit of practice and it'll help you feel better...
Those Grade 1 pieces are really nice....I couldn't believe the AB seem to have dragged themselves into the 20th century...just in time for the 21st!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...but music will help to cure it!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Dave,

Good to hear the practice cheered you up!! :) :) :)

Music is medicine!! ( or if its bad a poison )
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I don't see why not. So long as you don't scobe the ivory off her piano keys, things should pass amicably. :lol:
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Hello all :-)

Moonlight, I saw that Pianist magazine in WHSmith the other day, but wasn't sure if it was any good or not. I may buy it and see what's it like :-)

Best of luck with your lesson today Dave!! I can't wait to hear how it went!

I did lots of practice this weekend which was lovely, but its back to work today unfortunately!
PianoAngel
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoAngel »

Hey Dave,

Is it really just your first lesson today?? And you've already learned Grade 1 pieces before the lesson? When I appeared on the forum a few days ago, I don't think I explained that I'm a piano teacher - it's my full time job these days. Honestly, if I had a new student turn up who'd down all that work before the lesson I would be The Most delighted!!! It's the most exciting thing in the world to get a new student who is enthusiastic and who wants to work hard to improve their playing. Don't worry if you fluff notes or anything in the lesson - any teacher worth their salt will see through that and recognise the talent and enthusiasm underneath!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Angel; Dave's been brilliant - he's worked SO hard. If kids were like that, even I might consider teaching...:)
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

Hi Dave!

I'm at work today, but I've had the piano forum open whilst I work as I was so excited about hearing how your lesson went!!

I'm so glad that you like your teacher. I've found that even if a teacher is really good, it makes so much difference if you really get on with them and can be honest with them. She sounds like a lovely lady. I remember feeling nervous in front of my teacher at my first lesson as well! I thought she'd pick out every wrong note and every mistake, but she's wonderful.

Hurrah for the homework! It's great to have something to work towards and gives you so much more ennthusiasm! It sounds like she's given you a nice mixture of things to practice as well. My teacher has a grand piano and I totally know what you mean about the staccato!!! Its so hard to get that real 'crisp' sound on a digital. I really look forward to my lessons just so I get to play on the grand!

I'm sorry to hear your benefit has been cut, that's such a shame. A lesson once a month is definitely better than no lesson at all! I'm sure your teacher can give you enough stuff to do to keep you going for a month, and then you'll have so much to show her when you go back!

Well done Dave, I'm so glad you've finally had your first lesson :-) Now go get practising hehe!!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Hi guys, Hi Dave!! :)

So glad to hear your lesson went well, and you enjoyed it!!! :) :) :)
Thats realy good you got a teacher you get on with, I hope I find a nice one when I finally get a job and get lessons too. Job hunting is going slow as normal, although I did get a guy from a recritment ageny phone me today. Its so hard geting a job in the creative industry :evil: ... maybe I should get a new career and become a trainee piano tuner :roll: .

Anyway how did you find the Real piano Dave? or was it a bit weird playing on one? They do realy sound much better then our digtals and the staccato is much more crisp. I know what you mean about your mind going blank on another keyboard, mine went like that when I was trying out the digitals and acoustics at Chappel of Bond st once and I could hardly touch the lovely Yamaha grands. I was more intrested in what was going on inside the piano then the sound I was making, its poetry in motion the workings of a real piano...( I wish there was an emoticon that represents love in this forum)

I can't understand why kids would want to be stuck inside playing on their Peees ( Wii s) when they could be stuck inside playing the piano instead.
I have played many computer games in my life but not one of them even comes close to playing the piano!! And then the computer games industry has the audacity to bring out a guitar playing computer game!!!! next there might be a piano playing computer game ( God, NO!!)

Sorry just had to say that. :shock:
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Evening Dave et al!
It's music to a piano teacher's ears to hear you all enjoying your learning and playing so much. As Dave says, I'm Grade 8 plus (honours degree and performance diplomas to be precise) but I will NEVER reach the stage where I feel I know enough to stop learning. If I do, my husband has strict instructions to take me out in a field and shoot me!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I've been playing for 40 years and I STILL make mistakes in front of my teacher that I never do at home. If you're a self-conscious pianist, that's just the way it is, but there are lots of excellent books on performance anxiety out there to help.
Do you stop when you make a mistake, Dave? If so, the duetting is probably to help you get over that; if you're doing a duet and you stop, you're dead!
I'm so glad you enjoyed your lesson...get practising for the next one! :D