Struggle with some chords

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

wilton
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Struggle with some chords

Post by wilton »

I have quite large hands but struggle with some chords, eg c, e, g, c. and g, b, f, g. How do others handle this, particularly ladies with small hands. Which exercises are best for this problem, eg Hanon, Czerny, Wieck, etc
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

You seem to be talking about your hand span or stretch in music terms.

Sometimes talking the chord you are trying to play and then argeggiating it without trying inversions can be useful. You'll find your hand starting to hurt slightly but if your hands are quite big, then building up strength and expereince may also be an issue. Hanon has always worked well for me, besides that, scales (stoc, leg., p, f, etc.) also pushes your hand control and helps build up consistency.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I was just re-reading your post and thought about something that is blatantly obvious - what fingering are you using for these chords?
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

I think the length of particular fingers have a lot to do with it. I struggle with g, c, and f minors in the RH because my finger 2 is too short. My LH doesn't have the equivalent problem where the stretch between fingers 2 and 3 is a major 3rd. Yes, you have to adapt your fingering.
Regard music as a precious gift. See me at www.yourforte.net. Elaine