Grade V - Music Theory, Any Courses?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Grade V - Music Theory, Any Courses?

Post by Gooday »

Hello,

As an adult learner, I've tried, but after working all day I just end up playing the piano instead of working on anything theory related. I think the only thing that would work would be a theory course/evening class where I'd sit down and learn this stuff each week. Are there any places in London that run these classes? I'd like to sit some of the higher grades and theory is becoming a bit of an issue. I don't think I'm going to be able to progress to grade 6 this year, though I've now worked through most of the pieces :(

I've had a look and the only piano course I'd be interested in is at "citylit.ac.uk" but that's practical... (would anyone recommend the practical courses there?)

Any ideas for the theory?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well why not try your piano teacher? Or someone that s/he recommends? Or if you don't have piano lessons, find a private theory teacher. You're more motivated to go because, unlike in a class, there's no hiding place! And if you really don't understand something, you can keep on saying so again and again until you get it, without fear of any other classmates sighing/tutting and making you feel a bit of a div.
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Thanks Gill,

But my piano teacher isn't really that organised (seems to be part of being artistic) and I'm just one of many students. I really need a course or set of very organised structured lessons. And I definitely need to be away from my piano or I'll just start steering the less on back to practical stuff. Surely, somewhere in London does a theory course!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Theory at Grade 6, 7 and 8 becomes increasingly 'hairy' and extremely technical, sometimes too technical to be useful. Most boards will permit you to carry on practical examinations in Grade 6-8 without having completed the accompanying theory. In fact, I can think of two boards that will permit entry onto diploma level with only Grade 5 theory.

I think you need to think about the longterm and what you want to achieve from your playing. If you want to be a skilled musician, while advanced theory may be useful, it is not essential by any means.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Hello Gooday,

I have found the two Eric Taylor books on music theory to be very good. Things are broken down into nice sized chunks so you can work on a piece at a time. If you want to be able to test how your understanding is coming along I would suggest getting the relevant grade by grade ABRSM books and test papers as you can then really test your knowledge.

I tend to read a piece of a chapter each morning when my head is still fresh, only takes about 5-10 minutes.

Chappells of Bond Street (now on Wardour Street hehe) have all of these and more.....well worth a look.
Gooday
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Gooday »

Thanks Mark, Genaa,

I'm looking to do grade 5 theory only because this is the minimum requirement to progressing to later practical exams (having managed to pass 5 in November last year). I have theory books, including the first by Eric Taylor, but faced between spending some time on theory and time at the piano after a long day at work, it's no contest. So, I need a theory course I think so that I have to spend a set amount of time working on theory (e.g. during the lesson). But I'm not having much luck finding one. I guess the demand is low.
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by yourforte »

Hi -

You may have found someone to help you with your theory but if you haven't then you can always contact me at the website that will show at the end of my post.

I was taught by Eric Taylor myself and I enjoy teaching theory. I teach theory from beginners to advanced level. And a lot of my pupils are adults.

All the best,
Elaine
Regard music as a precious gift. See me at www.yourforte.net. Elaine