Books for teaching beginners

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Nat
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Nat »

I'm going to start teaching (private lessons)in UK and would like to ask you what books you use to teach piano children beginners and also Grade 1-3 in UK. Which of them(books) are more popular?
Thanks
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

One very good series is 'Piano Time'by Pauline Hall. Seems to be flavour of the month around here for a lot of the teachers, anyway!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

'Tunes for 10 Fingers' is the book for littler brats, I think. Piano Time is for the older age group. You'd need to lokk at them, as Dave says, to see which ones would suit the kids you're teaching.
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

The "Me and my piano" series by good old Fanny Waterman is also very good and popular with kids. There's new stuff coming out all the time so I really would recommend you take yourself off to your local music shop and see what appeals to you. Your own personal teaching style may also influence which books you prefer to use. While you're in there browsing, why not cast your eye over the theory books aswell? The Dozen a Day series is excellent for a bit of sneaky sight reading practice (they think they're using them as warm up exercises and technical development without realising that getting through several exercises a week means they're constantly reading new material! :wink: )
Nat
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Nat »

Thanks,guys, for your answers! Very useful! I'm going to the music shop as soon as I have time:)

What's about books for Grade 1-3 children? ABRSM series? Any other good books you'd recommend?

Thanks again for your replies!
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Hi Nat
Pam Wedgewood has devised a series of books called "Up-Grade" which are specifically designed to be grade appropriate material to bridge the gap between each grade. You could also look at ABRSM's Keyboard Anthology Series which again is in graded volumes and covers repertoire through the ages from Baroque to 20th century. Another series is the "Classics to Modern" in various volumes. There really is tons of stuff out there!
Nat
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Nat »

Hi guys! Thanks so much for all your answers!! I'm impressed with quantity of books here:) I hope I'll make a good choice:)