Tell me what you want, what you really really want?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tell me what you want, what you really really want?

Post by Celestite »

Evening all!
A thought has just occurred to me and I thought I'd ask you all your valued opinions. Having read about what we're all looking for in our pianos, tuners and retailers, what about teachers? What do you look for in a piano teacher? What do we get right, what do we get wrong? I'd love to know - be honest, I can take it!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Patience; a love and deep understanding of music; not just teaching because it's all they can think of doing, but because they want to impart their enthusiasm to others; a sense of humour; NOT clock-watching (stopping halfway through a bar/word and saying 'Same time next week, then!');er...that's it.
emmac
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by emmac »

Someone who isn't always pushing you to do the next grade exam if exams aren't your thing, but who tries to make sure pupils gain enjoyment from playing. (Having said that, I'm eternally grateful to my piano teacher for dinning the Importance of Fingering into me, though I didn't appreciate it at the time...)
Someone who will introduce pupils to a wide range of music, not just the usual classical repertoire. And yes, enthusiasm is important!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hear, hear; I'm sure my teacher does that. She reckons she doesn't but I have my doubts...
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Hi Guys!
Thanks for all your responses. I'd like to think I'm getting near the mark on most of them, although I'd need to check with my pupils as to just what they think of my sense of humour Image I have been known to excuse myself from a lesson on a pretext so that I could go out to the kitchen and kick the table in order to regain my composure - would that count as patience, do you think? The pupil in question seemed happy enough and completely oblivious to the extent of my frustration at the time!
As for tempi, I tend to cheat a little the other way, especially if someone is struggling - set the metronome several notches too slow, they manage to play in time, think they can do it, thus confidence grows and before you know it, hey presto (well, maybe andante) the goal is achieved!
One thing that has always struck me as essential when there are so many different shaped and sized bums being parked on it, is an adjustable stool, but it would seem not all teachers offer it (following on from your comment about a decent piano, Dave).
Thanks again for all your comments - happy finger wiggling!Image
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think it's GMT.
Re shouting, Celestite, did you ever see 'Outside Edge', a comedy about cricket (!)? She excuses herself from a dire dinner she's hosting, says 'I must just slip out to the kitchen', and opens the oven door and screams into it...:)
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

I haven't seen the film, Gill but I can relate to it! It's when I get to the point where I open the oven door and stick my head in it that I shall decide to retire! (Probably just as well we have an electric oven!)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I can blow that theory out of the water; I have an electric oven. I also, courtesy of a husband with a sense of humour, have a sign saying 'accidents' (from a hospital he was refurbing) and an arrow on it, pointing at the cooker.
Now you know why I don't teach...or cook.
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

Or "Accidentals"?
Celestite
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Celestite »

That's me all over, always at least one step behind, sorry :oops: