LCM Preparatory & Steps Exams Piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Samick
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

LCM Preparatory & Steps Exams Piano

Post by Samick »

Just wondered if there were any Forum Members who had entered pupils for the London College of Music Preparatory or Steps Exams?

I have always been involved with the Associated Board exams, but I have some youngsters who are not quite ready for Grade 1 yet, but are keen to do an exam.

I know the AB do a Preparatory Test, but they do not mark it like an exam, or give a certificate. I think that if you encourage a child to enter an exam or Test as they call it, they rather expect to be told that they have passed with so many marks and proudly show off their certificate. Looking at the LCM pre Grade 1 exams, they seem to follow a basic exam structure with a formal marking scheme, which I think gets a child into the "exam System" from the start.

Would be interested to know how other Teachers felt about these exams, and if they felt the pupils gained something from the experience. Or should I simply wait for them to be ready for Grade 1?

Regards
Samick
Semitone

LCM Steps examinations.

Post by Semitone »

I have used Step 1 and Step 2 for two pupils. I think it eases them into the examination process. Both of my pupils were delighted with their certificates.

Best Wishes

Semitone :D
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

I agree. I used LCM for 3 of my young students last year. They were all struggling a bit and getting nowhere fast. I decided to give the exams a go and it was very successful. They all enjoyed the experience and came away with a useful sheet with remarks - that I have referred to since - all very positive, with just little mentions of things to work on. The certificates are super too. I would definitely use them again. There is nothing wrong with swapping between exam boards later on if you want to.
I've also used Rockschool Debut for piano - the candidates have to play 5 pieces out of a possible 6. No scales or exercises, just performance, and again you get marks and comments. The pieces are quite interesting and modern and have all the same technical things you would expect. Good for adults.
My only gripe with the LCM stuff was that there were lots of small bits and pieces to prepare. I was certainly getting pretty bored towards the time of the exam, and I suspect the pupils were too - the dirty brown covers are also rather unattractive, but the end result was great. One of my students came out of the exam on a complete adrenaline high, raring to go. All three gained a lot of confidence from the experience.
Samick
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Samick »

Thanks for all your useful comments.

I have two pupils entered for the Spring LCM Step Exams, (one adult and a 7 year old). Both seemed to have enjoyed the preparation, so am hopeful they will do well and get something from the experience. I like the exam format very much, and like the variety of material. Although the pieces and exercises are very short (as you would expect at this level), because they have to play so many of them, they really feel that they have achieved a lot when they are all learnt!

I also have a pupil taking the Leisure Play Exam (Grade 6). I bought the Grade 6 Handbook for the pieces, and was very impressed by the content. In addition to the pieces, all the scales, sight-reading samples, aural and viva voce samples are in the one book! I think the AB and other boards should follow this approach.

Regards
Samick