Site for teachers.

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

rpain

Site for teachers.

Post by rpain »

Hi,

I've recently created a site for peripatetic teachers in general and have put on some of my teaching ideas and set up a forum. Do people think this will be useful? If anyone had any advice or could contribute any articles that would be great.

Richard

http://www.peripatetics.co.uk

PS I've added a link ot this site.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Looks very useful; a list of teachers who could be contacted for lessons would be handy. If there is one, I couldn't find it!
rpain

Post by rpain »

I'd really created the site for teachers but I could set up an area in the forums where people can add their names which I could link to from the main pages.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's just that people always ask me as a tuner for a list of teachers, and other than a music shop (getting rarer by the day) or Yellow Pages (bit random) it's hard to know where to refer them.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi,

It might be worthwhile suggesting contacting the music department of the local high school - we found music teachers for our kids that way (in this case singing and drums). Sometimes school music teachers also do private music lessons too.

G
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Finding piano teachers

Post by Descombes »

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Incorporated Society of Musicians (in the UK). All the teachers in its register have met very stringent standards of qualifications and experience. I think that they also have to offer evidence of the criminal checks which all schools have to carry out.
A copy of the register is in most public libraries and also on the ISM website:
http://www.ism.org/publications/register_rmt.html
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

rpain wrote:I'd really created the site for teachers but I could set up an area in the forums where people can add their names which I could link to from the main pages.
but you are just replicating what is out there for home teachers and in the case of this site there has been list of piano teachers since 1996. We are the only one that users can add comments about teachers they have used and was the first to highlight who has a CRB.

With the name of your site I was assuming you were just for teachers that travel to schools which there is little on the web for them

~Good luck with the site

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Re the query on the Incorporated Society of Musicians; I've actually written a bit for Barrie on choosing a teacher which mentions the ISM (of which I'm a member), so in the fullness of time, it'll appear - or maybe already has, I haven't looked![/quote]
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:Re the query on the Incorporated Society of Musicians; I've actually written a bit for Barrie on choosing a teacher which mentions the ISM (of which I'm a member), so in the fullness of time, it'll appear - or maybe already has, I haven't looked!

The problem with ism is there is not many of them for piano only 610 and that includes overseas members There are about 110 for London but a bit thin on the ground in other places

I will put it up with a few others at the moment most of my time is take up with a new part of the site

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page