Getting started in a new area!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Samick
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Getting started in a new area!

Post by Samick »

Hi

I have recently moved to a new area and would like to start teaching the Piano again.

I have registered my details on this site, but can anyone recommend any other sites that I should register with, or does anyone have any good ideas about how to start getting new pupils in a new area? (Good places to advertise etc). I am sure that once you get a few, it will probably "snowball" as people get to know, but getting started in an area where you don't have any musical contacts is not easy!

Where I previously lived, I was one of a number of teachers working in a privately owned teaching practice, so have never had to "tout" for business.

Grateful for any suggestions or advice!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Yellow pages (not cheap), church/parish magazines (much cheaper and deemed as more 'trustworthy', rightly or wrongly!), local music shop, local school (might need teacher to come in and teach), word of mouth. And of these, word of mouth is fastest. Once you have one victim, the rest will probably snowball. And mention it to your tuner when s/he comes to wind up your joanna (you ARE having it tuned, aren't you?!) because we always get asked to recommend teachers...I keep a list about my person at all times!
Good luck :wink:
Samick
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Samick »

Many thanks Gill the Piano for your very helpful suggestions! Yes, I do have my piano tuned regularly (at least three times a year), and have already used a tuner in the area. I shall certainly pass on my details to him as you suggest.

As you say, I just need a few "victims" to get going! Any other helpful tips out there from anyone else?

Once again many thanks. :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You have musicteachers.co.uk, ism.org, epta-uk.org also pianos.co.uk There may be a fee with the latter and some you have to be a member.

We find that teachers on this site get more work if they say quite a bit about themselves and their successes .

I will now wash my mouth out with a beer for pointing you to the competition :)

Barrie :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...which is extremely noble, considering Barrie's dislike for beer... :)