A beginner question on Chords

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

pradeep_tp

A beginner question on Chords

Post by pradeep_tp »

Hell Music Lovers,

I have started learning piano and I am loving it everyday. What I am finding difficulty in learning is Chords. Does anyone know how many types of Chords are there?. I want to understan which key combination makes C# Chord, F# and AB chords.

Thanks!

- Pk
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

Ah, chords... All the information you could possibly want can be Googled quickly. Alternatively buy a piano primer based on the style of playing you are pursuing (jazz, etc) and a scale book.

The basic major triad for any chord is the first, third and fifth of its Ionian scale. So C# will be C#, E# and G#, F# will be F#, A# and C#, and Ab will be Ab, C and Eb.

How many types of chord? I dunno, I haven't reached the end of them yet, but I would concentrate on the

Major
Sixth
Seventh
Ninth

Minor
Minor Seventh

Diminished
Augmented

And their inversions (i.e. play 3, 5, 1 instead of 1, 3, 5). Get familiar with these chords in one or two keys to start with then move on so that (in theory at least) you can play tham in all keys. Good luck.

Rgds.
pradeep_tp

Thanks..

Post by pradeep_tp »

Thank you Fumbler. My feeling now is that, learning chords is one of the difficult things in piano. I will find more about chords now in google. Thanks again :)
tripod
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tripod »

Hi,

I'm sure that you have found the answer you need by now but I was once told that if you want to form any chord you need only do the following:

Major Chord:
Tonic, Tonic+4 semi-tones (3rd), 3rd + 3 semi-tones
E.g.
C major = C, E (C+4 semi-tones), G (E+3 semi-tones)

Minor Chord:
Tonic, Tonic+3 semi-tones (Minor 3rd), Minor 3rd + 4 semi-tones
E.g.
C minor = C, E flat (C+3 semi-tones), G (E flat +4 semi-tones)

Very quick and always works.