Yamaha Examination Syllabus

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Tricia C

Yamaha Examination Syllabus

Post by Tricia C »

I'd like to seek some opinions about the Yamaha Music Syllabus as my son is currently attending music appreciation lessons- "music wonderland" with Yamaha. I just learnt that eventually, he'll be put thru the Yamaha syllabus which is different from ABRSM (of which I was taught in previously) . Hence was wondering if this is internationally recognised or if the syllabus matters at all, whether it is Trinity, ABRSM. LCM or Yamaha in terms of future qualifications as a music teacher (and I am referring to piamo specifically)?

Apart from knowing that ABRSM is very well structured and internationally recognised, I do not know much about other syllabuses so I'd like appreciate some opinions of the teachers and experts on this. : 0)
Paul Mellors
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Paul Mellors »

As a student I took ABRSM exams, but now as a teacher i prefer LCM's exams, I have highlighted some of the reasons in other threads in this forum. I not certain about other boards but certainly ABRSM & LCM exams are QCA approved and carry UCAS points at the higher grades. This means they are a recognised qualification and passing exams by either board is an equivalent represents an equal achievement.
LCM's new Jazz Piano syllabus is also excellent and many of my students alternate between classical and Jazz grades.

Again, I need to declare my interest because i am now an LCM rep:-)

Paul