Learner!

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Matty UK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Learner!

Post by Matty UK »

OK, im 15 and i want to be able to play the piano more fluently than i can already.

My knowledge of playing is quite small, i can read music, not fluently but alright.

So i want to be able to sight-read well and play fluently.

Heres the thing, i do NOT wish to have a teacher, im going to teach myself using the Internet.

So finally, we get to my question. For a beginner, what are the main chords (M, Min, 7 etc), Scales (Blues, Minor Pent etc) to learn. Also what finger exercises, to train my fingers to do two different things at the same time, and any exercises to improve my music reading.

Thanks

Matty
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, that's a bit like using the internet to teach yourself to drive; life don't work like that. Why not pay for just ONE lesson with a teacher, who teaches jazz? It'll save you hours of poking about on a computer when you could be doing something useful like piano practice... You can buy yourself a book containing pictures of all the chords ('piano picture chord book' entered into 'search' on shhetmusic.com should find you one) and that'll help a lot. To be honest, though, a teacher will be able to help you so much, even in a one-off lesson, that you'd be daft not to give it a go...
Matty UK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Matty UK »

Really no offence ment what so ever but im afraid that doesnt really answer my question, i asked for beginner scales, chords and finger exercises not the best method i should learn to play.

Again no offence ment,

Matty
D Minor
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D Minor »

Matty UK wrote:Really no offence ment what so ever but im afraid that doesnt really answer my question, i asked for beginner scales, chords and finger exercises not the best method i should learn to play.

Again no offence ment,

Matty
Gill offered great advice. If you won't take it, and in answer to your questions regarding scales etc,please use google...

As for sheet music,try the library.

Won't your parents pay for a one off lesson?
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Matty...you're 15 and you know it all huh? :roll: You say you want to play fluently....well take Gill's advice...and have at least one lesson, a teacher probably couldn't cope with you for longer than that. :wink:
If you try to teach yourself with no help at all, you will develop bad habits which will prevent you from ever playing well.
As for the things you say you want.....I could give you some sites that have these items available...
but hey...that would be no fun for you would it?.....you like to do things your own way....so do a web search for them. :twisted:
Matty UK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Matty UK »

I am not pretending to 'know it all' as you say. I simply asked a question and wanted a straight answer.

So far enough ill consider taking 'one lesson' now can you please answer my question?

Thanks
D Minor
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D Minor »

Matty UK wrote:I am not pretending to 'know it all' as you say. I simply asked a question and wanted a straight answer.

So far enough ill consider taking 'one lesson' now can you please answer my question?

Thanks
We have given you a straight answer and use google to answer your question!

Alternatively,the teacher you book one lesson with, probably will. Playing them is a different story.

Good Luck!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Try a picture chord book; it has the chord written out in music, along with a photograph of the hands at the keyboard in the correct position for the chord indicated. Can't think what the actual title is, but 'picture chord piano book' in Amazon's search facility should find it for you. Or musicroom.com are very good for music books as well.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

your question has been answered several times :roll: ....Maybe you need a computer lesson as well....do a[b] web search [/b]for the things you want.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

A b web search, Gem? Are you swearing?! :shock:
And now you know why I don't teach... :lol:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

awwwwwww Gill ...that was supposed to come out in bold type...maybe I clicked the wrong thing.
:?
Probably won't make any difference anyway :roll:
Matty UK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Matty UK »

Thanks Gill ill have a look for that book.

Ask for Geminoz, your a Your a Saint mate
D Minor
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D Minor »

Matty UK wrote: Ask for Geminoz, your a Your a Saint mate
I think you mean "As for..."

No need for language and name calling like that.An apology would be in order,but as you are surely lacking in good manners,I find that doubtful.
Matty UK
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Matty UK »

You know nothing of me, so dont insult me with saying i have no manners, i have plenty, but only for people who show then to me, ill will give him no apology as he deserves none.

Matty

P.S please don't insult my intelligance by trying to correct my grammar, typo's happen mate and im sure that everyone who has read the post understands the jist.
nicky lawrence

getting to grips on the piano

Post by nicky lawrence »

So - you wanna play piano? Lets see if I can help.

Regarding chords and chord structures, I haven't got a scooby doo (clue!). However, I began playing like yourself, and it is possible to learn without the use of teachers and stupid books. I had one lesson when I was 14 - it was hell! She kept moaning about my posture, and received £18 for telling me so for an hour!

Start by reading the first bar of a song that you know. If you have trouble with the treble clef, write the letter on top of each note. The same goes for the bass clef, but TRY to LEARN the right hand first. You will then find it easier to bring in the bass notes/chords afterwards. Whenever I start to learn a new song, I follow this pattern.

Aim to learn two bars fluently, without the need for the music (maybe use it as a guide e.g. crescendos and various rests). If you try to learn one or two bars a day, in two weeks you should perform the song WITHOUT the score.

Have a listen to Chopin's Waltz in C sharp (opus 64 no 2). To begin the tune I wrote the letters (ie G# E) for the first few bars. After that I was okay, and after three weeks I can now play it through without the sheet music

I do hope this helps a bit - if you need any more help just send us a message.

Nicky Lawrence
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have a theory that piano teachers are either saints in human form or are being punished for some dreadful crime in a former life; God bless 'em, they deserve every penny... :lol: :roll:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Oooooooh the things you miss when you are away for a few days....was I being sworn at? I'm definitely no saint :wink: and not a "mate" either. :?
I will conclude by saying...good luck to you Matty...whichever learning path you choose. :lol: