Adult learner

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

elisabethj

Adult learner

Post by elisabethj »

I started to learn the piano at the age of 54 I have a very patient teacher and have an excellent rapport with her. I am now 65 I took grades 1 and 2 practical ABRSM and have done theory grades 12345 passed all with marks in the 80/90 I an=m now working for grade 6 BUt practically I am only about grade 3 ? The piano pieces book I am on is marked late elementary early intermediate. What grades are these. I get very nervous when playing my pieces to my teacher. :( :(
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Sounds Grade III ish to me. It's a lot easier to learn music on paper than it is to get your fingers wrapped around it on the keyboard! You've a hard slog on, but then you're going the right way about it. By doing Theory first, you're doing your Highway Code before getting much driving practice in, that's all.
Don't be discouraged - and don't compare yourself to kids who learn fast because they have empty heads!
Everyone - and I include myself in this, even after 40 years thrashing the ivories - gets nervous in front of their teacher; it's just because you're expecting to be criticised. I wish I had a quid for every time I've said 'I can play it all right at home' in a horrible whiny voice that I thought I'd grown out of 39 years ago...I could buy a Steinway D! :roll: