scoring piano pieces?

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

austin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

scoring piano pieces?

Post by austin »

Hello,

I've got a whole load of pieces that I need to score but I don't really know where to start!!! I have a terrible feeling it's going to take hours and hours :-(

All the pieces are MIDI files, and they are in one-track format (left and right hands are on the same track). This means I need a scoring program that is really good at seperating left and right tracks.

I tried doing this once before (can't remember which program I used) and I had to set a split point (eg Middle C) and the program split the left and right that way. Problem is the pieces I am scoring don't stick to that convention at all, (i.e. the left hand will often go above C during a piece, and the right hand below it)

Does anyone know of any problems that will split the staves intellegently? Or at least make it easier to do?

Thank you very much for your help!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Only a bit of manuscript paper and a pencil! :lol:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

I don't think there are many of us left who know what those things are :roll: :cry:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: scoring piano pieces?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

austin wrote:
All the pieces are MIDI files, and they are in one-track format (left and right hands are on the same track). This means I need a scoring program that is really good at seperating left and right tracks.

!
There is plenty of MIDI to note software out there this one has a

MidiNotate Composer 30 day free trial

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Feg

Post by Feg »

In my day it was called transcribing and involved sitting for hours at a reel-to-reel tape recorder with manuscript and pencil in hand. My only consolation was that it was great practice for the aural tests which used to be part of the Higher Music Examination.
austin
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by austin »

Thanks.... no easy shortcuts on this one... it's going to be a long job :x oh well I have a recording too, and once it's done it's done!

Thanks a lot!